Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old May 18, 2005, 5:03 PM   #11

I talked to a rep from canon. He suggested that I reset my defaults to zero and upload the latest firmware. However he didn't think either one would really help:?.

He did indicate that, sometimes the contacts between the lens and body are not right, and that may be the problem.

My 20d also did an interesting thing. When I was using it , trying to figure out the focus issue, it shut down. I could not get it to respond by either pressing the shutter or turning it on and off again. The battery level was low but not low enought that the battery icon was flashing. I recharged the battery and poof it worked, go figure:-?.

Canon couldn't really explain this. Has this happened to anyone else out there?

If it continues I will need to send it in to Canon and be without for 2-3 weeks:sad:.

rdjphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2005, 10:21 PM   #12

I have had my camera freeze up (I don't recall if anything was on the top display) but it wouldn't do anything and nothing lit in the view finder. I think this has happened once or twice. I would take out the battery, put it back in and it would work fine again. I think there is something a little wrong with the firmware that kicking it fixes it. I've designed firmware for consumer electronics, so I have some experience here. They've done a great job, but I wouldn't be surprised if some weird corner case got through.

A contact on the len beind dirty would cause some of these problems. If it doesn't think there is a lens, then it won't try to AF (for example.) A slightly out-of-kilter lens mount would do it too.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2005, 2:56 AM   #13

When you attach a lense do you hold the lense release button in or not, if you do then don't. According to Sigma holding in the release button while attaching a lense can cause bad contact and focusing problems. Maybe Canon's are the same. Just a thought.

cheers

Mart.

PS. Also try cleaning the contacts on the camera and lense.
mf_blues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2005, 10:26 AM   #14

Thanks to everyone out there. The suggestions are helpful.

Iwill take 20d out this weekend and try again, hopefully it won't do any wierd things on me.
Old May 24, 2005, 10:38 AM   #15

20d again had focus problem. Was at the mountains here in Canada, it was sunny and bright. The 20d would not focus on a mountain around mile away. The subject had good texture eg trees rocks etc. This focusing problem is sporatic, as it usually does focus.

I resigned myself to sending it to canon. Now I just have to check out my other lens 17-85 usm is to see if it does the same tricks, drat.

Old May 24, 2005, 11:37 AM   #16
Administrator

Just out of curiosity, are you using any filters on it? If so, you may want to try it without a filter. Filters can impact optical quality, as well as reduce light (for example, a polarizer typically costs you 1 or 2 stops).

Are you using a tripod? If not, you may want to try it with a tripod (in case the camera is shaking too much at longer focal lengths for it to get a focus lock).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2005, 1:15 PM   #17

I am not using any filter (anymore).

I wasn't using a tripod, I didn't think it would make any difference, but you may be right, it may. However I also have this problem at shorter distances eg a few yards away.
Old Jun 25, 2005, 4:59 PM   #18

Wondered if you had any luck resolving this problem? My 300D started doing this yesturday when I was out taking rugby photos. Had been working fine all day then suddenly just stopped AF. Searches but can't AF

I've tried taking battery out, shut it down and restarted, checked that I hadn't accidently put it into MF, tried it in other modes (does it in all modes)

Wondered if it may be to do with humidity, we're in middle of winter here. Camera hasn't got wet but the camera bag has. Have put it on the hot water cylinder to see if that helps. Am going into town to get something to clean the contacts today.

thanks
sue

suemack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2005, 10:13 AM   #19

The conclusion I came to was the focusing problem was mostly the lens I had. The canon 75-300 did have difficulty focusing and sometimes would give up so I couldn't take a picture.

I recently purchased a canon 300 L4 IS lens and it works better (should for the price). Even it sometimes searches more than I would like.

Bottom line, I am getting used to the camera hunting to focus at times. I try to focus prior on a spot near where I will take the shot. I will also manually set the distance on my 300 to where I will take the picture. That way it has less distance to travel to focus.

If your camera will not auto focus at all then I believe your will have to send it to canon.

Hope this helps. There is a learning curve with digital SLRs isn't there.

Old Jul 8, 2005, 1:13 PM   #20

i also have this 75-300 is usm lens.* i've had the same problems with focusing at 300 but i realized it'll work a lot easier if you first zoom out to 75, focus in on your subject, then zoom in.* *i guess it's something we'll have to get used to with this lens.another thing to consider is that this lens' focusing elements aren't internal.* they're in the front and it will rotate the lens.* don't use any filters that may alter your image like polarizing ones. i'm sure you already knew that.
mugen76 is offline   Reply With Quote