Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old May 16, 2005, 2:30 PM   #1

So I have nailed it to canon 20D with canon 17-85 lens to begin with. I need a good sharp lens which I can be really sure of so I cannot blame the lens if I don't get a good picture!

Sigma etc are all good choices I guess but there are so many differing opinions out there on these where as the canon was consitently rated high by all except ofcource the price factor.

I need help to choose other accessories: I specifically need help on

1. memory cards- 1GB and over. Is there a difference between the Pro labeled vs regular, fast vs regular. Exact item specification would help.

2. Lens hood, cleaning kit

3. filters- circular polarizer/ UV filter- do I need them to start with?

4. Extra battery- which one? one more of the regular or the hand grip one?

5. AC adapter- Does this come with the camera so I can use it while learning?

Also I see that the canon with 17-85 kit is costing 1899 after rebate at ritz camera store and the body only for $ 1249. That makes the cost of the lens $650 but the lens only is available for $599 at many places like B&H and amazon which would make it combined purchase $1849. I thought the kits are supposed to be a better deal! Please advise if there is a difference in the lens ( canon 17-85 IS) which comes with the kit Vs buying the same standalone. I know its on 50 bucks difference but just need to make sure there is no quality difference out there.

I am ready to order this at the local ritz store this week. Yipee!

Thanks ya all for the help.
WannabePro is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 16, 2005, 2:55 PM   #2

About the Canon lenses, the consumer level Canon lenses are mediocre at best (they produce good consumer level results:-) ), even the L series ones are not all good, early on I bought a Canon EF 100-300 F5.6 L, (because it said L in the name and there was no Internet to do quick checks at the time) and image quality of this lens was very soft, and focusing was very slow.

For the most part Canon L, Sigma EX, Tamron SP are excellent lenses but expensive, most startingclose to 1000$cdn and working their way up from there.

For your questions:
  1. Yes the faster cards can write faster, :-)so the camera is not hindered by them when writing out the files. The 20D is quite capable of writing as fast as a lexar 80 or sandisk extreme, can take it. Also the SanDisk Extremes are hardened somehow to take more abuse. [/*]
  2. Lens Hood should come with the lens, Cleaning kit for lens of for sensor ? [/*]
  3. Filters,you don't need them to start out, polarizers do help in the right conditions. UV filters seem to be almost a religious thing, some people hate UV filters some won't go out without them :-) [/*]
  4. Always good to have a spare battery, if you get the BG-E2 grip you still need to get another battery. The grip allows you to use 2 batteries at the same time. [/*]
  5. No, AC adapter kit ACK-E2 is a separate kit, Camera only comes with a battery charger. I gotACK-E2 kitfor studio shooting, and for sensor cleaning (because I am paranoid, I plug the ack-e2 into my UPS when sensor cleaning). A fully charged battery should work just as well.[/*]
Your equipment choice is good to get started, but be prepared to learn photoshop (or paintshop, or Gimp). It is not really optional with DSLR's.

As far as I know there is only one version of the 17-85IS lens, possiblythere is something extra in the kit? Vendors here wereadding in different sized CF cards with their kits to make them look better, so if it has a CF card that may explain the extra 50$.

Peter.

WannabePro wrote:

Quote:
So I have nailed it to canon 20D with canon 17-85 lens to begin with. I need a good sharp lens which I can be really sure of so I cannot blame the lens if I don't get a good picture!

Sigma etc are all good choices I guess but there are so many differing opinions out there on these where as the canon was consitently rated high by all except ofcource the price factor.

I need help to choose other accessories: I specifically need help on

1. memory cards- 1GB and over. Is there a difference between the Pro labeled vs regular, fast vs regular. Exact item specification would help.

2. Lens hood, cleaning kit

3. filters- circular polarizer/ UV filter- do I need them to start with?

4. Extra battery- which one? one more of the regular or the hand grip one?

5. AC adapter- Does this come with the camera so I can use it while learning?

Also I see that the canon with 17-85 kit is costing 1899 after rebate at ritz camera store and the body only for $ 1249. That makes the cost of the lens $650 but the lens only is available for $599 at many places like B&H and amazon which would make it combined purchase $1849. I thought the kits are supposed to be a better deal! Please advise if there is a difference in the lens ( canon 17-85 IS) which comes with the kit Vs buying the same standalone. I know its on 50 bucks difference but just need to make sure there is no quality difference out there.

I am ready to order this at the local ritz store this week. Yipee!

Thanks ya all for the help.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2005, 12:41 PM   #3

Even if you get the battery grip you have to put two Canon (or equiv) batteries in it, so definitely get another battery. Memory cards will get eaten up if you use RAW, so I would suggest at least a 2 gig card if you are planning on using RAW. Sandisk Extreme III card now writes the fastest at about 20mb/sec (as opposed to 8-12 with other cards) it is a little more expensive, but if you are shooting consecutive shots (esp. RAW, I usually shoot RAW + JPGin the studio) the buffer gets filled very quick and you are stuck waiting around while the card writes (I just got the Extreme III card, so don't know how it handles yet in the studio). Why do you need an AC adapter???? I never had one with any camera that I have used. You might want to get a card reader rather than hooking your camera up to your computer. I would suggest a good UV filter for protection of you lens to start. Polarizers are only necessary in certain situations, and there is a ton of info on Steve's Forums (just type it into Steve's search engine up top).
Nancy Gabby is offline   Reply With Quote