Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old May 17, 2005, 9:29 AM   #1

What Processing Parameter do most 20D users set the menu to? 1 or 2? Parameter 1 states itis more sharp and vivid in Basic Mode only. Parameter 2 is more natural. Can I assume that in the Creative Modes you must set this for other than natural? wysiwyg? Any suggestions/advice would greatly help. Dan
mdbassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 17, 2005, 11:29 AM   #2

It's kind of a personal preference. What aspects do you like to control in post processing? I like to control my contrast and sharpness post processing, so I use a custom parameter with saturation at 1 and the rest at 0. Other people even set these values negative. If you don't like to post-process every image then parameter 1 is probably your best bet.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2005, 5:09 PM   #3

Thanks for your input John. Right now I am experimenting with the controls in the camera. I like my colors to "snap" and stand out. I must admit my post processing skills w/ PSE 3.0 are nill. I have yet to delve into that yet.

I was just wondering what 20D users preferred and their reasons. Thanks again for your reply. Feel free to "advise" Dan
Old May 21, 2005, 11:20 AM   #4

I was having trouble with Parameter 1 b/c some of my shots (probably about 1/3) were much too contrasty. So I created a custom parameter where I bump up the saturation and the sharpness (and I still use USM in PS also) by 1 and it seems to be working well for me. I still have to play with both saturation and sharpness (usually add to it). But if I have clients that want the original files, it looks pretty good, whereas Parameter 2 looks much too flat and boring.
Nancy Gabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2005, 4:06 PM   #5

Nancy, I am a bit confused with the 20D's Parameter 1/2 and Set 1,2,3.. Are the Set1,2,3 (custom?)the user set options? This allows the user to pre-set parameters he wants? Canon has set Parameter 1&2 themselves. The user manual is not very clear on this.
Old May 22, 2005, 5:00 AM   #6

Yes, I am pretty sure that is what it is, I unfortunately don't have the camera with me right now. I only set one of those three parameters, but the settings remain even if you remove the battery.
Nancy Gabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2005, 5:50 AM   #7

The parameters you change are separate than the preset 1,2,3.... I believe they are personal/custom settings 1,2,3..

Remember if you shoot RAW these settings are not applied.
jolson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2005, 5:24 AM   #8

Thanks for the response.