Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Jun 12, 2005, 11:56 AM   #11

Although I don't have but one Lexar CF Card - a 512MB which I use in my 300D, I was told over 2 years ago by a friend in the Computer business to buy Sandisk, because some Lexar cards would Not work in some photo printers that take Memory cards. I also have a friend who owns a Nikon Coolpix 5700 & twice he has had to send one or both of his Lexar 256 cards to Lexar to retreive images due to them being "zapped" (??) to where he could not open them. They were able to retreive the images & return them on a CD along with a new card each time. That ended my buying anything but Sandisk from then on. Even thought I have had No problems with my 1 Lexar (I have 4 Sandisk - a 256, 2-512's & a 1 GB)No more Lexar for me - to be on the safe side.
Railfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2005, 4:52 PM   #12

Railfire wrote:
Quote:
Although I don't have but one Lexar CF Card - a 512MB which I use in my 300D, I was told over 2 years ago by a friend in the Computer business to buy Sandisk, because some Lexar cards would Not work in some photo printers that take Memory cards.* I also have a friend who owns a Nikon Coolpix 5700 & twice he has had to send one or both of his Lexar 256 cards to Lexar to retreive images due to them being "zapped" (??) to where he could not open them.* They were able to retreive the images & return them on a CD along with a new card each time.* That ended my buying anything but Sandisk from then on.* Even thought I have had No problems with my 1 Lexar (I have 4 Sandisk - a 256, 2-512's & a 1 GB)No more Lexar for me - to be on the safe side.
I have not heard any negatives about the Lexar cards and am quite happy with mine. I have used it in a Nikon CP5700 and the Canon 20D. It's blazing fast compared to my other, smaller cards. I have never lost images and I do not have the problem they are describing with the 20D. I just feel that a company that charges a premium for their product which has a lifetime limited customer-satisfaction warranty should replace them free of charge.

Am I the only one irritated by this?

mactek
mactek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2005, 11:39 PM   #13
J_R

i knew there was an issue but didnt realize lexar had a recall. thx for the info. i have one of thier 1 gig 80x cards. since i was having issues with it i just bought a 2 gig sandisk III card and so far havent had any issues with it.
J_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2005, 5:31 AM   #14

After reseaching six camera discussion forums it seems US customers are successfully mailing in their Lexar cards and receiving new ones in return. No mention has been made of Canon asking for cameras to be returned, or any software fixes for the 20D.

The message coming out of Lexar Europe, and more specifically Lexar UK, is very different.
- Firstly, as of 3 June Lexar UK denied all knowledge of card problems.
- A week later they then stated that new cards will not be issued. Cards will only be inspected for potential problems, and fixed if deemed necessary.
- Lexar UK is saying it is a Canon camera problem, which will not be resolved until Canon issue a fix. They talk about cameras having to be taken in to dealers, etc (and appear to not understand software upgrades).

There seems to be a distinct "dragging of heels" with respect to Lexar UK and Europe . . :roll:
HiltonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2005, 9:39 AM   #15

While on the subject - I recently read on Micheal Reichman's Luminous Landscape column where it seems ALL Canon DSLR's are (or were) having problems with 4GB CF cards only. So, he retired all of his 4 GB cards & got several 2GB CF cards until the issue is solved. Have not checked back to see about this lately.
Old Jun 14, 2005, 8:41 AM   #16

Was in Columbus, MS yesterday & visiting with a friend who has the EOS-1D - he shoots Sports at Mississippi State, & is also an assistant with a Proat his studio. When I brought up the subject of Lexar cards, he told me that he has 3 & has problems with ALL 3 of them, & No problems ever with any of his Sandisk.

Old Jun 21, 2005, 1:53 PM   #17

HiltonP,I have posted my lexar pro 1gb back registered post to lexar UK 10 days ago. Today i got a reply stating that it has taken 2-3 days to test my card ! They also stated they will begin processing replacement cards on 22nd June. Sound like the UK Lexar service organisation has been very sloppy in execution. THey originally claimed 7-10 days turnaround.
I am very very unimpressed with Lexar's slow response in the UK, indeed the whole company has made a mess of this. My only positive comment about their actions is they have admitted an issue with the card's firmware and will replace it FOC (except shipping).Sandisk is my only CF vendor for now.J
jozey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2005, 4:13 PM   #18

I called Lexar tech support here in the US to inquire about the recall. I have two Lexar 80x 2GB cards and a Canon 20D. The last 4 characters of my cards are 9171 and A4B6 respectively. According to the guy I spoke with, I do not have to get my "9171" card firmware updated if I do not use a Canon 1D/1Ds camera. I told him I want it updated anyway just in case I do upgrade my camera. I will be sending my cards one at a time. He suggested sending the card insured and with tracking info.
AlpineMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2005, 5:07 PM   #19
J_R

When I emaild and called them I was told that the serial number that my card has does not qualify for replacement.
J_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2005, 4:43 PM   #20

Here's a followup on my Lexar adventure...
I am not normally a "squeaky wheel", but I get a bit agitated by obvious injustices and poor customer service.

I emailed Lexar Support on 6/12/05 to ask why they felt justified charging customers shipping to Lexar + $10 to replace a defective (by their own admission) memory card with a USED advanced-exchange card. I explained that I take good care of my equipment and expect to get a NEW card at no charge to me. The card clearly comes with a lifetime limited customer satisfaction guarantee and they aren't satisfying me.
On 6/21/05, after receiving no response to my email, I sent another email explaining that since I had not gotten any response I had gone out and purchased (2) Sandisk 1GB Ultra II cards so that I could send my defective Lexar card to them for exchange. I also explained that I felt they had terrible customer service (not responding to support emails is a hanging offense in my book) and after getting the card replaced, I would never be doing business with them again.
I then filled out the RMA form with the non-advance option.
On 6/22/05 I received an somewhat apologetic email asking me to call "high-level tech support". I also received an email with my RMA number and address to ship the defective card to.
I called the tech number. The woman who answered the phone read my email out loud while I was on the phone, but did not seem to understand what I wanted.*
I explained that I wanted:
A new card
Advance shipment
No charge to me

At this point she seemed to understand and told me they can do all of that. So... They will be shipping a new card to me tomorrow. I will then send my card back to them and charge it to their FedEx account which they provided.
If anyone else believes they should not have to pay to replace defective product, here's the phone number to call..*
510-413-1233

I'll let you all know the final outcome.

mactek
mactek is offline   Reply With Quote