Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Jun 22, 2005, 4:47 PM   #21

Damn...I just sent my Lexar card to them...I had to pay shipping and insurance from my pocket!
AlpineMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2005, 4:18 PM   #22

Another followup:

I received a NEW 2GB 80x CF card today via 2nd day UPS. It wasn't in a retail blister pack, but it's pretty apparent that it's a new card. It also has a non-recall edge number. I'll be sending my old one (wiped clean) back to them via the Fed Ex number they gave me first thing Monday.

This is what they should have done in the first place.*
Will I buy their product again? Maybe... Of course now I have the Lexar 2GB 80x and (2) Sandisk 1GB Ultra IIs, so I probably won't need more storage for a while.

Note: I have not dealt with Sandisk customer service, so I don't know if they're any better.

I hate having to explain to customer service departments how customer service should work.

mactek

mactek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2005, 7:49 AM   #23

Hey there...I have an EOS300D and wonder if my camera is affected by this bug. I have a 512Mb 80X Lexar card (I know my camera will never use the max speed, but I was hoping it would improve things a bit)
SRXy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2005, 8:48 AM   #24

I HAD two 1Gb Lexar 4X cards that ran slow with my 300D and had all kinds of read problems with my 20D. I just threw them away, now I don't have any Lexar problems!!

SanDisk ultra II or Extreme's = smooth as silk
Setiprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2005, 10:51 AM   #25

Setiprime wrote:
Quote:
I HAD two 1Gb Lexar 4X cards that ran slow with my 300D and had all kinds of read problems with my 20D. I just threw them away, now I don't have any Lexar problems!!

SanDisk ultra II or Extreme's = smooth as silk

Aren't the reasons why the Lexar "ran slow" were because the 300D doesn't write as fast as the 20D as well as the 4X speed card that you used?
Old Jun 30, 2005, 5:26 PM   #26

Got my 1GB card back from Lexar after about 11 days round trip. Definitely not the same card I sent in, which I had marked with permanent marker, but looks new. The screwy thing is they sent it to me by UPS personal signature required. It took UPS a couple tries to deliver it before they hit a day when my wife was home at lunchtime. I had no warning that someone would have to be home to accept it. Would have been more reliable to tape it to a postcard and drop it in a mailbox. Other than that, the exchange was fairly painless.

While waiting for Lexar to return my updated card, I sent off for a Sandisk 2GB. J&R sent it in a 1ft by 1.5ft by 1.5ft box -- along with a lot of airbags to fill up the extra space.

Must be paying minimum wage in the shipping departments these days.

--M

mgipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2005, 11:01 AM   #27

Hi all, I am a new member, just registered with the group. Canon 300D with Lexar 80x 1Gb media cards bought 3 months ago. Registration was stimulated by seeing "Woody"'s alert about the Canon/Lexar problem a few days ago.

I've had lots of trouble with the camera since obtaining these cards. Symptoms are lost images on cards which havesuccessfully stored the images at capture time - they subsequently disappear when attempting to download toPC. Also these same cards, when subjected to a new "format" operation in the camera, (and camera confirms "no images" on card) will subsequently produce and download the fomer images from the card which have been "erased", often scambled in with newly-shot images!

A real mess - anditis rendering mycamera effectively useless. Please be advised thatboth the Lexar and Canon public statements accepting that such problems are occuring seem to be (in my experience) somewhat dishonest. They are both making statements that these are a) veryrare events, and b) do not affect my camera. This is absurd. I have had these symptoms for weeks and they are recurrent failures.Until about a week ago I believed the problem was due to a fault inmycamera. Then I found a report about the "known" incompatibility between the Canon Digitals and the Lexar 80xCards. I have attempted to discuss and obtain some redress to fix this problem, both with Canon UK and Lexar UK. Lexar hasgiven me statements that they will help (but no action is forthcoming). Canon has told me to go to Lexar. Neither companyseems interested inthe problem, in fact their responses to me to date signals that they do not really believe the symptoms I have alerted them to.

I find it quite incredible that companies in an International market should take such a stance. The message to any other Canon users who may be seeing problems similar to mine is to report them and insist on a remedy. Don't be put off by suggestions indicating that "you may have created/imagined/invented the faults".

The very latest is that Lexar have at last offerred to replace my my cards. Canon are still suggestingmy camera can't beaffected by this problem. Really? So it's working as it is designed to, is it? In that case, anyone want to buy a duff 300D?

Alan Sickling, Sheffield.
Alan Sickling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2005, 11:33 AM   #28

First of all, & I say this as I was told this by a Canon Tech Rep when I first got my 300D back in September 2003. The 300D/Digital Rebel won't work any different with high speed CF cards, so there is no need to waste your money on these cards. Thus in my stable of cards:

1-Regular Sandisk1GB CF card; - 1 Sandisk 512 MB Ultra II CF card; 2- Regular Sandisk 512MB CF cards; 1 - Lexar 512 -12xCF Card(so far no problems - but I won't ever buy another one); & 1 - Regular Sandisk 256MB CF card, left over from my Minolta S404 days.When shooting in Large Jpeg mode, this gives me a total of 1,020 images when I am out shooting - until I can someday get me a laptop.

DH
Railfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2005, 11:28 AM   #29

mactek...any update? Thanks.