Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old May 20, 2005, 10:04 AM   #1

I just got a Canon Rebel XT and it kept giving me Err 99 after the first shot. I took the battery out and reloaded it as the manual said, but that did not resolve the problem.

Does anyone know the solution? I desperately need help. :sad:

Thanks

Howard
HowardN is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 20, 2005, 10:17 AM   #2
Administrator

You see this come up from time to time with Canon DSLR models. It is my understanding that it's a relatively generic error, and can mean anything from the battery being weak to the lens mount contacts needing cleaning (a common fix).

I'll move this thread down to the Canon EOS Digital SLR Forum where you should be able to get some tips from Canon DSLR users about it.

Or, you may simply want to see if your vendor will swap it out with another camera (if you have already made sure the battery is full charged, etc.). I would remove and install your lens again to make sure it wasn't a contact with a bit of oxidation on it making a bad connection first.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2005, 2:39 PM   #3

Hi

Mine was an early Sigma lens. Rechipped gratis by Sigma
geriatric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2005, 3:37 PM   #4

Saw this problem on my 20D when I tried using an OEM Hitachi 4gb microdrive.
AlpineMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2005, 12:07 AM   #5

Send it back, exchange it or what ever. Just take care of it. The err99 got progressively worse over time. I experienced it for 6 months before I sent it to Canon. Should have done it before the warranty expired. It will cost you a minimum of $200 to have Canon look at it. :sad:
Ctrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2006, 2:43 PM   #6

I agreed with Ctrack, and just sent back my brand new 30D. It keeps come back with "Err99" after several shots - even I replaed batteries and only use Canon's lens. Lucky for me, this is just a backup body>
Quanvu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2006, 4:28 PM   #7

Hi there,

I got my XTi about a month ago. I asked the salesperson if my older Sigma zoom lense would work on it. It's an autofocus lense and the salesperson said "it should work" on the camera.

At home,when I put it onto the XTi I got 'error 99'. I thought it was a case of the lense not being compatible with the camera. :?

Do you think it's my camera that has an issue or the lense ? should I send email to the canon support site?

thanks !!

CC
coolcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2006, 8:59 PM   #8

For what it's worth I got err 99 on my XT yesterday after about 2000 shots in about 5 months use. It happend when I tried to press the shutter when the mirror lockup was being used (I already press the shutter to shart the exposure and didn't know it). I turned it off and turned it back on and everything was good again.
nelmr is offline   Reply With Quote