Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old May 22, 2005, 3:23 PM   #1

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...312682#p312682

Does anybody maby know how do "drag the shutter" with the canon eos 300D. I suspect that you might have to load the hacked firmware.

Thanks

Sean Venter:?:
cheese22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 23, 2005, 1:01 AM   #2

Sean,

I read the other posts and someone mentioned Second Curtain Sync. If that's how the picture was done, then you can't do it with the camera alone. You will need an external flash that has that capability. I have the Canon 550EX and it has second curtain sync.

After looking at the photo, it looks as though they may have used a fill flash with a slower shutter speed to allow the background to lighten up. If that's the case, it could be done with the camera alone by setting up manual or using S mode on the camera.

THe nice thing about digital is it won't cost you anything for trying.

Hope this helps a little.

Dave Porter
headhunter66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2005, 1:14 AM   #3
NHL

cheese22 wrote:
Quote:
Does anybody maby know how do "drag the shutter" with the canon eos 300D. I suspect that you might have to load the hacked firmware.
You don't need the hacked firmware if the external flash has 2nd curtain sync. This is enabled by setting this option on the flash head itself (even on 3rd party flash like the 500DG Super) - The 'hack' is only required for the built-in or the fully automatic 420EX flashes where no control exist to turn this feature 'ON'.

However headhunter66 is correct - the image posted was done with a fill hence the 1st/2nd sync wouldn't matter... anyway. 2nd shutter sync is only critical if the light source moved :?
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2005, 8:18 AM   #4

Thank you all so much. I have learned a lot know.

I found another place on the net wich also explains it.

http://www.planetneil.com/faq/dragging-the-shutter.html

Regards

Sean Venter
cheese22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2005, 2:54 PM   #5

For the picture shown on the original thread there was probably enough light from the sunset to expose the background properly at a reasonable shutterspeed. The photographer just need to add flash to expose the subject as NHL pointed out.

I think all you would have to do is take a few shots of the background in manual tofine tunehow you wanted it exposed (estimating by looking at the LCD) then keeping the camera in manual at the settings you selected, add the subject and take the picture using flash.

Bob
BobA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2005, 5:49 PM   #6

Just set the flash sync to auto and not 1/250 (or what ever the XT locks at) and then shoot away. It will meter for ambient light and just use the flash as a fill. Be aware than doing this will let the shutter speed go very slow so you may need to increase the ISO or use a tripod if it's really dark.

Essentially you're shooting with no flash, but you get the light from the flash......hmm that's confusing
Spec3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2005, 11:46 PM   #7

ETTL-II meters for ambient exposure for all modes (M, Av, Tv, etc.), and flash is used for subject illumination.So, you can use one of the following options:

1. Determine the settings to expose the background the way you would like (compromise between aperature and shutterspeed)while in Man ... then shoot with the subject using flash.

2. Shoot with flash with the camera in Av to control depth of field. However, it is possible that the shutterspeed could be pretty low to get the ambient exposure correct.

3. Shoot with flash with the camera in Tv. Using this mode you could pick the lowest shutterspeed that would be acceptable to you, and the camera will pick the aperature to try it's best to properly expose the background.

Personally, when the subject is being illuminated by flash I no longer use any mode other than manual (thanks NHL for your help in getting me to see the "light"). I will use Av or Tv with flash only when I'm adding flash to remove shadows such as from under a hat brim when taking daylight pictures outdoors. In these brighter light situations using flash, ETTL-II reduces the flash power by automatic fill flash reduction.

By the way, if the exposure of the subject ends up being a bit tricky (i.e., underexposed), try the following:

a) After focusing (and with your finger still on the shutter release to keep focus locked), point the middle 9% of the viewfinder at the skin on the subjects face and press the FE-lock button (*), then recompose and take the picture. Flash exposure lock uses ONLY the partial metering circle for determining the flash power.

b) Increase or decrease FEC (flash exposure compensation) to get the histogram where you want it.

Bob
BobA is offline   Reply With Quote