Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old May 24, 2005, 10:55 PM   #11

I like .5 to .8 but my tastes for sharpening depends on the subject matter. Sometimes I prefer a little softness in the picture...

H
bigboyhf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2005, 11:19 PM   #12
Super Moderator

i also use a program called ultrasharpen pro alot of the times.. it allows me to selectively sharpen my subjects independently of the background.. and allows for varying levels of sharpening w/in the same picture.. so i can do a general sharpening (for example major outlines of a bird) at one level and the details (ie feathers) at a different level.. works out quite nicely most of the time..
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2005, 8:08 AM   #13

bigboyhf wrote:
Quote:
I like .5 to .8 but my tastes for sharpening depends on the subject matter. Sometimes I prefer a little softness in the picture...

H
I was just wondering if there are any other settings or procedures I should be doing before printing my pictures from photoshop.

Thanks again in advance.
jeeper31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2005, 8:23 AM   #14

I usually do sharpening as my last step. While I sometimes have to make more corrections, following is what I typically have to do:

1. Correct for over/under-exposure (use levels or brightness in PS). This should be a minor correction ... getting the proper exposure with the camera is still important :-)

2. Crop the photo (rotate if a bit crooked).

3. Sharpen using USM at Amount=300%, Pixels=0.3, Threshold=0

4. Save at maximum resolution

5. Run through Neat Image if I shot usint ISO 800 or higher (or if I have unwanted noise).

6. Done!

Sometimes after step 2 I have to:

2a. Fix white balance

2b. Adjust contrast

2c. Adjust color saturation

2d. Correct for slight out of focus or motion blur using Focus Magic

Others will have a different workflow and use different tools ... the above is just what seems to work well for me for 95%+ of my photos. I hope this helps!

Regards,

Bob

BobA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2005, 10:09 AM   #15

BobA wrote:
Quote:
3. Sharpen using USM at Amount=300%, Pixels=0.3, Threshold=0

5. Run through Neat Image if I shot usint ISO 800 or higher (or if I have unwanted noise).

2d. Correct for slight out of focus or motion blur using Focus Magic

Others will have a different workflow and use different tools ... the above is just what seems to work well for me for 95%+ of my photos. I hope this helps!

Regards,

Bob

thanks Bob. The info should help. With the USM I am using the setting you say however, settingthe pixels at .3 seems to make the image look unnatural (too sharp) and adds a lot of noise.

What is Neat Image and Focus Magic? Where do I get them? Cost?

Thanks again.
Old May 26, 2005, 10:47 PM   #16

Yo can get Neat Image here:

http://www.neatimage.com/download.html

While it is listed as a demo, this applies for commercial use. The application is free to use for personal use, although I believe that some featuresmay bemissing. Neat image is a very easy to use application that is used to remove noise from your photographs. I only like to use it when noise in a photograph bothers me, because it does smooth out a small bit of detail depending on how strong the filter is set. It does a great job though.

Focus Magic is not a free application ($45 US), but a demo can be found here:

http://www.focusmagic.com/download.htm

It's not a filter for sharpening images, but has been designed to correct for photos that are slightly out of focus or have a slight motion blur. It won't take a fuzzy portrait and turn it into a superb piece of art, but I use it if I missed the focus a bit on snaps of my kids ... it takes a slightly blurry picture and makes it acceptable for small format output (4x6 prints). I'm happy to say that I don't use the application a lot :Gbut when I do I've been pleased with the results.

As for why 300%, 0.3, 0 results in oversharpened pictures, I have a few ideas:

If you are shooting in jpeg, or if you are shooting in Raw and converting to jpeg at less than the maximum quality then 0.3 pixels might be a bit too much. I shoot in Raw with my 20D then convert my images to jpeg at the highest quality which is "Superfine". Even from the camera, the highest quality is "Fine" (not "Superfine") and the resulting jpeg is about half the size. I would have thought that even images shot in jpeg as "Fine" 0.3 would work ... but definitely if you are using the lowest quality (Small Normal) 0.3 might oversharpen.

Also, it could be thatyou are shooting jpegswith the sharpeningalready set to maximum. For me, when I convert from Raw to jpeg I have the sharpening set to the middle of the scale. If anything I would convert to jpeg with sharpening turned off, and would never use a value over mid-scale.

So, either of the above could cause my recipe to be incorrect for you. If things are oversharpened, try 0.1 or 0.2 ... or set the amout to 150% and try different pixels to see what you like. Note that sometimes an image that looks just a touch oversharpened on you computer screen willlook great in print ... however an image that is obviously oversharpened as viewed on your monitor will probably look oversharpened in print.

Have fun! I hope the above helps.

Bob
BobA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2005, 6:15 PM   #17

Bob,

Thanks a lot. All good information that I will play around with and post how it goes.

thaks again. I appreciate the time you (and everybody) took to respond.
Old May 27, 2005, 7:22 PM   #18

Also remember to set the dpi to 180-300 before printing for best print. Also that your screen cab only show picture in 72dpi so you have to oversharpen due to the lower resolution on the screen...
Loke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2005, 7:42 PM   #19

Loke wrote:
Quote:
Also remember to set the dpi to 180-300 before printing for best print. Also that your screen cab only show picture in 72dpi so you have to oversharpen due to the lower resolution on the screen...
Where do I check that setting?
Old May 27, 2005, 8:05 PM   #20

What editing prog. you have? In photoshop you go to image\image size......:-)
Loke is offline   Reply With Quote