Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old May 28, 2005, 10:56 PM   #31

bigboyhf wrote:
Quote:
I agree that the flexability that the dslr's have with post processing is very important and that is how I fly most of the time. However, maybe there could be more adjustment levels for sharpness, contrast etc.with the extremes being equal to or closer to that of a point and shoot. After all, these camera's have all those other fancy doo-dads to print directly to a pictbridge printer!For those times when you want to utlize that function, it would be nice to be able tojust kick it up a notch or so to get additional processing in the camera...

H

Along these lines I find thatif I insert my compact flash card directly into the printer the pictures come out very sharp. It is only when I print through a photo program that the clarity is compromised.
jeeper31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2005, 7:34 PM   #32

thanks, BobA. i found your suggestions to be very helpful in obtaining more realistic, detailed renderings of my rebel xt photos. i had assumed that themuddiness of the photos, (in the absence ofPS sharpening)indicated a flaw in the image capability of the camera. in fact, the data seem to be there, it just needs to be massaged.

canon seems to be aiming this camera at a consumer, rather than a professional , market. judging by all the griping on web photo forums re: the "softness" issue, canon should consider sharpening their in-camera default settings to appeal to this audience.
richard frederick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2005, 11:27 AM   #33

bigboyhf wrote:
Quote:
I agree that the flexability that the dslr's have with post processing is very important and that is how I fly most of the time. However, maybe there could be more adjustment levels for sharpness, contrast etc.with the extremes being equal to or closer to that of a point and shoot. After all, these camera's have all those other fancy doo-dads to print directly to a pictbridge printer!For those times when you want to utlize that function, it would be nice to be able tojust kick it up a notch or so to get additional processing in the camera...

H

Agree completely...there are occasions when you don't want to invest the effort/energy into post processing for a 4x6 or 5x7print.....why can't Canon simply provide optionalsettings that simulate output from a P&S....best of both worlds and problem solved
as188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2005, 10:01 PM   #34

as188 wrote:
Quote:
Agree completely...there are occasions when you don't want to invest the effort/energy into post processing for a 4x6 or 5x7print.....why can't Canon simply provide optionalsettings that simulate output from a P&S....best of both worlds and problem solved
And some of us wish Canon would remove the BasicZones (including "Green Rectangle") from the mode dial and replace them with some new features that would be more useful. :G Seriously though, I don't think anyone would mind if Canon added something new as a parameter setting to do what you are asking... however, there are other features that I hope they would concentrate on first such as (for the next version of the 20D):

* Iso in the viewfinder
* A Man-Iso mode where you can set shutterspeed and aperature and ISO would be varied to get the exposure
* Ultrasonic cleaning of the sensor such as what has been adopted by Oly
* Dials that do the same thing in each mode
*Add spot metering
* IS in the body
* Selection of OEM focusing screens
* Ability to flash blown highlights in the large review mode (instead of just in the mini-mode)

By the way, as a general rule, the more advanced the DSLR camera is, the more post processing you have to do.

Bob
BobA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2005, 2:05 AM   #35
Super Moderator

I love the idea of a man-iso mode, after all they effectively have this in the Green square already.

Perhaps we're talking an extra camera here between the 20D and the 1 series... Call it the 5 series perhaps:

* Bigger dynamic range - not more megapixels. How about 7, 8 or even 10 stops of dynamic range? That would be really useful.
* even less noise (i.e. keep on working at it)
* f8 autofocus (this will help them sell lots of teleconverters so I don't see why they shouldn't go for it)
* rule-of-thirds AF points, with a parameter to allow some cusomization of AF point priority
* EF-S L lenses
* A weather-sealed body
* A removable anti-moire screen (for when you want ridiculously sharp pictures and are willing to take your chances with moire) mostly for landscape work.

I think we should put these things in a separate thread and email it to Canon when we're done...

peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2005, 8:19 AM   #36
NHL

On top of the IS in the body (can double as a dust removal function), IMO the High/Low key zone is quite useful too:
http://konicaminolta.com/products/co...-7d/05.html#01
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2005, 9:06 AM   #37

peripatetic wrote:
Quote:
I love the idea of a man-iso mode, after all they effectively have this in the Green square already.

Exactly, I just want to have complete control over Av and Tv. Heck, you could even have similar "easy" modes:

Man-Iso-Av: Set Tv and Av, Iso varies the best it can to make the shot, but if it can't getthe exposureright, the camera overrides aperature

Man-Iso-Tv : Same thing but the camera would override shutterspeed as a last resort.

By the way, I can't really figure out how P-Auto makes the decisions it does. Do you understand the algorythym?

I Really like your other ideas, especially a more weather resistant body.

Bob
BobA is offline   Reply With Quote