Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old May 22, 2005, 7:51 PM   #1

I am new here and I hope I am posting in the right area. I just bought a Rebel XT about 2 weeks ago and the problem is I ahve not takine a good picture with it yet. The pictures do not seem as sharp as I would expect for an 8 megapixel camrea. Actually my S500 seems to take better shots. I have the quality set on the best setting. ANy ideas. I am getting very frustated.

Most of the shots I have taken so farhave been indoors or outdoors on overcast days.

Please help.

Thanks

Dan

jeeper31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 22, 2005, 9:04 PM   #2

jeeper31 wrote:
Quote:
ANy ideas.
Dan,

Yes. You're going to have to post a picture with EXIFdata so people can have an idea of what went wrong. Your camera came with Zoom Browser and Arc Soft PhotoStudio 5.5. In the zoom browser you can get the shooting info by clicking the picture and then clicking properties button. Copy (Highlight-copy-paste)the shooting info at the bottom into your post. In PhotoStudio (Select work on copy if you want the original)resize the picture down to 640 x 480. Then add it to your post and someone will try to help you.

I just got an XT and i too have taken a couple of bad pictures. But if you look into the EXIF data you can see what you did wrong. I had grain in a flower picture and sure enough the night before i had been playing with the menu settings and left it in 1600 ISO. So you lern... Check everything.

You have a great camera and all you need to do is learn a few new things.

Good Luck
dale
thatsanicepicture2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2005, 9:37 PM   #3

Dale,

Thanks for the response. I think I might have figured it out but now that I have, I don't know how to fix it. Anything I seem to print out from the computer comes out not clear. I am presently using photoshop and a program called PhotoDesiree that came with my Hi Touch Imaging Printer. I decided to unhook the printer from the computer and print by putting the Compact Flash card directly into the printer. The prints came out crystal clear.

So now the question is...Is there a setting on the compter that I am missing to clear up the prints?

Thanks again.
Old May 22, 2005, 10:39 PM   #4

Please post a picture so that we can help you. Otherwise it's going to takeyou longerthan necessary to figure out what you are doing wrong.

Regards,

Bob
BobA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2005, 11:06 PM   #5

Here's a pic. I don't know if it will be helpful because it looks better on the screen than it prints out. However, when printing from card directly in printer it comes out great.
Attached Images

Old May 23, 2005, 12:37 AM   #6

Just a couple of questions:

1. What color space are you using sRGB or aRGB?

2. What settings are you using when you apply USM in PS?

3. Are you printing directly from PS orusing the HiTouch supplied software(PhotoDesiree)?

I've seen some posts from some others on this forum that usea HiTouch printer, so there is a good chance someone can help you out.

Regards,

Bob
Old May 23, 2005, 7:55 AM   #7

BobA wrote:
Quote:
Just a couple of questions:

1. What color space are you using sRGB or aRGB?

2. What settings are you using when you apply USM in PS?

3. Are you printing directly from PS orusing the HiTouch supplied software (PhotoDesiree)?

I've seen some posts from some others on this forum that usea HiTouch printer, so there is a good chance someone can help you out.

Regards,

Bob
Quote:
Not sure what color space or setting i am using. Where do I find the color space setting? What is USM and where is it?
Quote:
I am getting the same problem printing in PS and in the HiTouch program PhotoDesiree. It only seems to print ok directly from the printer without using the computer.
Old May 23, 2005, 1:10 PM   #8

Hi Jeepers,

All pictures from a Canon DSLR will be a bit soft until you apply some sharpening in post-processing (Photoshop). In PS select Filter from the menubar then Sharpen then Unsharp Mask. Try 300% for "Amount", 0.3 for "Pixels" and 0 for "Threshold" as a starting value (recommended by Canon as a starting point).

With a point and shoot camera color saturation, contrast and sharpness are really pumped up when compared to a DSLR (especially semi-pro and pro models). The whole idea is to place some of the processing in the hands of the photographer. For example, sometimes you may take a picture of anperson and show every line and wrinkle in their face (they earned them things and wear them proudly:lol, and sometimes you may want to have a softer look to the photograph.

If you haven't messed with the color space I'm sure everything is sRGB, which by the way, is how you have to have things set if you want to display images on the web. When you go to print from PS, under Print Preview (under show more options) select Color management and look at the Profile (under "Print Space") to see where it is set. I use "same as source" for my Canon Selphy CP600 proof printer and it works great. If this is set at Adobe RGB this may cause a problem. There may be a similar setting in your Hi Touch software ... hopefully someone else can comment.

Since this could be a printer stup problem, you may want to post your issue here:

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/view_forum.php?id=41

which isSteve's Dye-sub printer forum, or join Photography on the Net forums and submit your question to their post processing and printing forum here:

http://www.photography-on-the.net/fo...splay.php?f=18

Regards,

Bob

Old May 24, 2005, 9:43 AM   #9

BobA wrote:
Quote:
Hi Jeepers,

All pictures from a Canon DSLR will be a bit soft until you apply some sharpening in post-processing (Photoshop). In PS select Filter from the menubar then Sharpen then Unsharp Mask. Try 300% for "Amount", 0.3 for "Pixels" and 0 for "Threshold" as a starting value (recommended by Canon as a starting point).

With a point and shoot camera color saturation, contrast and sharpness are really pumped up when compared to a DSLR (especially semi-pro and pro models). The whole idea is to place some of the processing in the hands of the photographer. For example, sometimes you may take a picture of anperson and show every line and wrinkle in their face (they earned them things and wear them proudly:lol, and sometimes you may want to have a softer look to the photograph.

If you haven't messed with the color space I'm sure everything is sRGB, which by the way, is how you have to have things set if you want to display images on the web. When you go to print from PS, under Print Preview (under show more options) select Color management and look at the Profile (under "Print Space") to see where it is set. I use "same as source" for my Canon Selphy CP600 proof printer and it works great. If this is set at Adobe RGB this may cause a problem. There may be a similar setting in your Hi Touch software ... hopefully someone else can comment.

Since this could be a printer stup problem, you may want to post your issue here:

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/view_forum.php?id=41

which isSteve's Dye-sub printer forum, or join Photography on the Net forums and submit your question to their post processing and printing forum here:

http://www.photography-on-the.net/fo...splay.php?f=18

Regards,

Bob

I changed the sharpness to 300% and it cleared things up but when I changed the pixels to .3 it got blurry again. Is that right>
Old May 24, 2005, 4:06 PM   #10
Super Moderator

try around 1.0 - 1.2
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote