Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old May 23, 2005, 7:01 PM   #1

I'm a newbie -- so apologies for an incredibly naive question.

Assume I plan to print 4x6, 5x7 or mayble 8x10 prints. I want the best quality images. Do I set the image quality at Large -Fine, Medium -Fine, Small- Fine or something else?
JOJOJAMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 23, 2005, 7:14 PM   #2
Super Moderator

large fine.... just set it there and leave it... you never know when you may need to crop and will need the extra resolution..
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2005, 9:19 PM   #3

I always have my 20D set for Large Fine as well.
AlpineMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2005, 10:52 PM   #4

Hards80 wrote:
Quote:
large fine.... just set it there and leave it... you never know when you may need to crop and will need the extra resolution..
I'm with him... In five years of digi cams i never said to myself;
"Gee i wish i had taken that picturesmaller and lower quaity."

dale

thatsanicepicture2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2005, 10:57 PM   #5

Thanks -- Now for my next silly question: Why do these images look good on the LCD, but once I load them onto my computer using the supplied Canon software the pictures are noticably (substantially) darker? Am I doing something wrong, or do I need to go into each picture and adjust the brightness? (Seems odd that it would look just fine on the CD, and lousy on the computer.)
Old May 24, 2005, 12:34 AM   #6
Super Moderator

hmm... why dont you post an example so we can see whats goin on here... just remember to resize it to somewhere in the neighborhood of 600x400ish..
Old May 24, 2005, 1:08 AM   #7

I know what you're talking about.

I was trying no flash photography indoors (at night) with the lights on. Aka suicide. BUT I thought they actually looked decent on the LCD until I uploaded it to my comp.

So I have 2 suggestions. The one I haven't tried is to darken your LCD so it might look more accurate when it comes to brightness. The second suggestion that I now use is to look at your histogram on the camera. press the review button on your XT, then the info. The chart will show up. The more "white" you have to the left, the more pixels that are dark. If they touch the left side, it's most likely your shot is underexposed (dark).

Generally, you want that graph (white bars) to be around the middle, not touching the left or right side of the chart.

But still! You'll need to check the actual picture if it's clear or blurry.
BoYFrMSpC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2005, 1:59 AM   #8
Super Moderator

good advice on the histogram!... it is very useful and BoyFrmSpc explained in laymen's terms quite nicely.. definately one of the more helpful tools in our digital toolbox..
Old May 24, 2005, 10:14 AM   #9

Is the histogram a tool to be used while you are taking pictures in order to know whether to retake the picture, or is it (also) a tool for processing. I/O/W., if the histogram shows that the picture is under/over exposed, is the "fix" then to immediately retake the picture adjusting the settings, or is there some sort of adjustment one can make in processing the picture to "move" the histogram readings more towards the center? (I know (suspect) that last question makes little sense, but I hope you know what I mean.)
Old May 24, 2005, 1:23 PM   #10

I suspect that you're asking if you can simply brighten the image using some kind of software? Yes, you can. In a histogram's POV, you're just shifting all graph to the right to make each pixel lighter. Just upload the image to your comp and use the software provided by Canon to increase the brightness.

However, if you try to do this you'll immediately notice the picture will become very grainy. You're best option is to do a quick examination on the histogram right after you take the the shot and if required, take another picture with different settings .
BoYFrMSpC is offline   Reply With Quote