Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old May 27, 2005, 1:23 PM   #11

I'd like to pile on the 17-85 bandwagon. I had a 17-40L and a 70-200L and was looking to acquire either a 24-70L, Tamron 28-75 or Sigma 24-70. I decided to try the 17-85 not really thinking I would like it. I was quite impressed and immediately started to conduct a lens bakeoff between the 17-85 and the 17-40. The 17-85 is regarded as slow but it's really only up to 2/3 of a stop slower than the 17-40L over equivalent focal lenghts and mine was at least as sharp on the tripod and easily sharper handheld with the IS. Given the extra range I was easily convinced to keep the 17-85 and sell the L. Recently I found a 16-35L used that I just couldn't pass up. Still thinking I need a brighter lens, I brought it home started shooting to evaluate the wide open performance and found color fringing! No lens is perfect but I really appreciate the 17-85 the more I try to replace it.
Humrme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2005, 2:05 PM   #12

OK. Even though I pointed outmany shortcomings of the 17-85IS lens, it is still my favorite. I have landscapes from New Zealand with lots and lots of detail, the blurring of which would be quite noticeable in a 13x19 print. Yet, when I have occasion to show those prints--like to local photo clubs, for example, I get the same amazed reactions.

So the 17-85 is a mighty fine lens. I have a semi-unrelated question of you guys. Almost every post in this thread talks about how "I've had this or that lens and this one and that one, but I sold them and bought this one, then I sold it and bought this other one..."

Where is this great marketplace where massive buying and selling of lenses takes place? And do you buy new and then sell, or do you buy and sell used lenses? What kind of beating do you take on these transactions? I've never sold a lens, so I'm curious about what I may be missing.

Thanks.

Bill
wburychka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2005, 5:27 PM   #13

[email protected] wrote:
Quote:
tmumolo wrote:
Quote:
I've owned L series glass that's not as good as the 17-85.

tonyM

what a total bull..sh*t! get real pal
It's unfortunate that children are allowed to post here. However, my experience has been on par with his. I'll teach the young'un how to disagree like a gentleman:

I have the 17-85IS on my Rebel Xt also and am completely satisfied with the images it produces, and I am completely obsessed with image quality. It doesn't, however, make me smile like some of my best images fom my 17-40L.

But your post did make me smile. Thanks.
ChrisDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2005, 10:02 AM   #14

My post wasn't intended to make anyone smile! It was an anecdotal referance to my personal experience with these lenses.

The 70-200L f.4 is the only L lens I've used that produces the smile reaction you describe. Unfortunately not so with the 28-70-24-70L's in my expericnce.

We are not all using the same copies of these lenses which makes it questionable to disagree with the findings of any individual user. All we can do is relate our personal experience with lenses we've used, which is what I'm doing. I can't speak for all copies of all the lenses in question but I can speak about mine and I stand by every word.

btw this post didn't start out as a referendum on the 17-85, it was about how well this lens compliments the Rebel XT, which is does exceedingly well.

tonyM
tmumolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2005, 8:52 AM   #15

I'm an amateur, not a pro, but for just roaming around the kit lens is much lighter and nicely balanced. The 17 to 85 hardly gets used here. All designs are compromises, the big bulk may be a good one when very shorp pictures are required. I find the quality of the kit lens quite good, it's a bargan.
arthogrefe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2005, 9:33 AM   #16

Yes, I agree the kit lens is definately a bargain and I've heard the image quality is quite good as well but I'm suggesting an optimum quality combination. Even though I use the 17-85 as a walk around lens, some of my walk around images wind up in my art work so I'm interested in a camera lens combination that combines portability, versatility and optical quality.

That's the reason I use the17-85 IS. btw the IS function is worth it's weight in gold, in my opinion.

tony
tmumolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2005, 12:52 PM   #17

peripatetic wrote:
Quote:
For a full set of Canon MTF charts check out the Hong Kong site (bookmark it!) :

http://www.canon.com.hk/En/Product/S...category_id=25

To save you some time here's a direct link to the 17-85.

http://www.canon.com.hk/En/Product/P...p;tag_id=10515

I bet your first response is WOW.
First it was HOLY ... , then wow.

I don't trust using MTF charts to give quantitative comparisons going from brand to brand, but I'm certain Canon must be using the same test method for all of their own lenses. I think when reading the chart though you have to look at the 24-70 MTF to 15mm from center, which is the limit of the scale for the S lenses.With this in mind,if the 24-70 were set to f4, it looks to me that these two lenses would be virtually identical with respect to resolution.

At $600the 17-85has to be one of the better deals out there if you don't mind that it is a bit slow and you are in the market for an "S" lens.

By the way, I have a 24-70 and the image quality is superb (resolution, contrast, color), which also seems to be the experience of the majority of owners that have posted on another forum that I visit. Not sure what kind of problems that you would be having ... The only negative I have about the24-70 is the weight.

Bob

BobA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2005, 1:01 PM   #18

peripatetic wrote:
Quote:
For a full set of Canon MTF charts check out the Hong Kong site (bookmark it!) :

Thanks for the site!

Bob
Old May 29, 2005, 10:12 PM   #19

wburychka wrote:

Quote:
Where is this great marketplace where massive buying and selling of lenses takes place? And do you buy new and then sell, or do you buy and sell used lenses? What kind of beating do you take on these transactions? I've never sold a lens, so I'm curious about what I may be missing.
I buy and sell on www.fredmiranda.com buy and sell forum as well as ebay. I usually take a beating equivalent to a one day rental at the camera shop ($30-$40) depending on how I buy the lens (new or used), the cost of the lens and obviously the shipping. I have actually made a little of a few. I just bought a 28-70L but after spending a few hours taking comparison shots with the 17-85, I still like the 17-85. Maybe I just have a really good 17-85. I'd be interested in any other trading inputs as well.
Humrme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2005, 12:49 AM   #20

Humrme wrote:
Quote:
I buy and sell on http://www.fredmiranda.com buy and sell forum as well as ebay. I usually take a beating equivalent to a one day rental at the camera shop ($30-$40) depending on how I buy the lens (new or used), the cost of the lens and obviously the shipping. I have actually made a little of a few. I just bought a 28-70L but after spending a few hours taking comparison shots with the 17-85, I still like the 17-85. Maybe I just have a really good 17-85. I'd be interested in any other trading inputs as well.
I wouldn'tbe surprisedthat the 17-85 is better than the 28-70. The 28-70 is a discontinued lens and does not have the same optical quality of the 24-70.

Bob