Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Jun 8, 2005, 8:14 AM   #31

Here´s the quote:

Quote:
I got a chance to test out my brothers rebel xt for a couple of days, before I left to the pacific northwests. These few days before vacation Archman was in town, so I got to test it out with him, and he let me borrow his 55-200mm Sigma lens. After I went on vacation I checked out my finances and found out I had enough money to get myself an XT!! woohoo. After getting mine we could deffanitly tell that my brothers was front focusing, I had suspected it when I was testing it out and now it was confirmed buy using his and then mine with the same lenses, he took his back and got a new one that was focusing fine.
SinRastro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2005, 10:21 AM   #32

Bill and SinRastro, thanks for your feedback - it was definitely a bad lens. I wound up sending the 17-85 back and got a 17-40, which seems a bit"cleaner" and should serve me well on an upcoming trip to Europe (I also tested another 17-85 and a 28-135). I have a couple of old EOS zooms to overlap.

Will

SinRastro wrote:
Quote:

I heard some XT come with that "Front focusing" problem,... be sure to test it well, if you do not know how,... ask a friend who knows something about photography, other way go back to the store and ask for a change.
WillR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2005, 4:54 PM   #33

SinRastro wrote:
Quote:

I heard some XT come with that "Front focusing" problem,... be sure to test it well, if you do not know how,... ask a friend who knows something about photography, other way go back to the store and ask for a change.
To test where your camera is focusing, prop a newspaper up and turn it 45 degrees to the side. Select a wide aperture to decrease the depth of field. Then, place your focus point at the center of the newspaper and take a few shots. When you view the shots onscreen, hopefully the center of the newspaper will be in focus. If the section of the paper closer to you is in focus instead, then you have a "front-focus" issue.
ChrisDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2005, 1:50 PM   #34

Greetings all... I'm new the forum -- the UPS truck has just rolled away after delivering my new Rebel XT plus 17-85 IS. I'm thrilled as can be to be back to SLR after trying a stint with a point & shoot digital for a while (great for throwing in my bag for family trips, but the pictures just didn't compare...) SO, anyway, here's a question:

One of the accys I bought for the camera is the Semi-Hard case. I've always loved those kind of cases because I can easily carry around what I need without worrying about a larger bag.

BUT, here's the problem...the semi-hard case doesn't fit on the camera with the 17-85 on it... it's close, but not close enough. What other case solutions have people come up with (and what's the number to call to lobby canon to make a little bit longer case... My next lense will be that 75-300 IS and I KNOW that won't fit in the case. I know that other companies do have semi hard cases that work when long lenses are attached.

Help? Thanks!

Scott
jsyaruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2005, 8:30 AM   #35

There's an enlightening comparison between the 17-40L and the 17-85IS, with samples, here:http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=13888373
jrynash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2005, 11:22 PM   #36

jsyaruss wrote:
Quote:
One of the accys I bought for the camera is the Semi-Hard case. I've always loved those kind of cases because I can easily carry around what I need without worrying about a larger bag.

BUT, here's the problem...the semi-hard case doesn't fit on the camera with the 17-85 on it... it's close, but not close enough. What other case solutions have people come up with (and what's the number to call to lobby canon to make a little bit longer case... My next lense will be that 75-300 IS and I KNOW that won't fit in the case. I know that other companies do have semi hard cases that work when long lenses are attached.
Just check at your camera store. One of those bag makers, Lowepro or someone, makes a holster-style camera case that will hold the camera with a pretty big lens--like the 75-300, I seem to recall.

BTW, check some reviews before you commit to that lens. I have looked at it a number of times--being a diehard believer in IS lenses--and every time I come away discouraged by that lenses' apparently poor optical performance. Also, this lens does not have dual mode IS, so the stabilizer is not suitable for panning. The most popular lens in that size seems to be the Sigma 70-300 APO Macro Super II (not the DG). FWIW.

Enjoy the cam. I do.
wburychka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2005, 2:13 AM   #37
Super Moderator

jrynash wrote:
Quote:
There's an enlightening comparison between the 17-40L and the 17-85IS, with samples, here:http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1029&message=1388
Hey - they're only about 8 months behind us! You should be posting links on their site to point here. :-)

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...=mtf+challenge

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=65
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2005, 7:59 AM   #38

Thx for the advice re the 75-300.. that one's a bit down the line for me so i'll do more research before making the leap... for now, i'm so thrilled with the camera and the 17-85...whew! it's so fast, compared to my prior camera...

I am headed to my local shop this weekend and will find a case of some sort...

thanks again!

S
jsyaruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2005, 10:10 AM   #39

So, what is the Largest pix any of you have ever had made from the 17-85IS?? Can you get 16 X 20's - from hand-held with the IS 'on' or use a tripod with the IS off???

DH
Railfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2005, 4:46 PM   #40

tmumolo wrote "Do a search and check it out. The MTFcurvesfor the 17-85arebetter than the 24-70L"

I think that tmumolois wrong..... I've search and compare both MTF charts, and inf fact at simple view you could get confused, because the scale used in both MTF charts are different..... but in the range of 0 to 15, the 24-70L lenses are far better than the 17-85IS

here is the evidence: (TOP=17-85IS BOTTOM=24-70L)

Attached Images

Romanow is offline   Reply With Quote