Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old May 25, 2005, 1:11 AM   #1

I was to understand that the Canon 580ex has color balance ability.

I can't get it to work or find any information on how to use it or override it.

Any info would be great.

Frank

Last edited
forrwhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 25, 2005, 10:44 AM   #2

Hi Frank,

I purchased the 580 EX about a month ago. I am no expert on this, but I believe it functions automatically if you set your White Balance to Auto, or Flash. (page 47 in the instruction manual.) To disable the function, change your white balance setting to any of the other options such as Tungsten, Day Light, Shade, Custom, and so on.

What Camera are you using, since it only works with certain specific EOS Cameras? For your particular camera, check owners manual and find White Balance Specifications under Major specifications and look for " color temperature information transmission provided." If I am wrong on this, others should be able to quickly give the correct information. :-)

Otherwise, I haven't been able to confirm how accurate this function works using the Eos 20d since I haven't recently calibrated my monitor. My initial reaction is that it works better the greater the ratio of flash to ambient light. The jury may still be out on this one. Good luck.

Thomas.
ThomasATC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2005, 3:24 PM   #3

I use the D20 and I find even if I change the WB to custom it tries to compensate.

I have used the 550 and gels for the past few yearsI guess I'll have to go back to this untill I can figure how to shut off the WB feature on the 580ex.

Thanks for the help,

Frank
forrwhat is offline   Reply With Quote