Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old May 25, 2005, 1:16 PM   #1

Hi All:bye:

I have been mainly using an EOS 600 SLR with a good selection of lenses for mywork over the last three or four years, then 12 months ago I bought a FujiFilm S3100 and got hooked on it and on digital photography generally.

I am now thinking of changing over almost totally to digi work as the EOS is just gathering dust. What I need is digital camera with all the flexibility and scope of the Canon so I can continue and expand my photographic range. I don't require lenses such as 1000mm telephotos or extreme wide angle lnses: I have them for the EOS and, frankly, they never got used after my first excitement at owning them.

So, if anyone has any advice what I might get - my budget is approx $700 - $800 plus whatever I can get for the S3100 (not much) - I'f love to hear what they think. Initially I thought I'd like to stick to Fuji as I am impressed by the S3100 and I am well used to its little quirks.However, having read a lot of the postings here, maybe I would be better served to stay with Canon - I dearly love my EOS 600 (it was already an old camera when I bought it, but that added to its charm for me), and I have come to think that maybe Canon is a better choice for up-grading mydigital camera. (I have NO intention of selling the 600 - it would break my heart to part with it as it as the first 'grown-up' camera I owned.)

I use my camera for everything from ordinary 'snaps', through to portraiture, wedding photography and sometimes action photography = skiing, motor racing. I am an amateur but, as post graduate student, I try to supplement my income from the sale of images.

Oh one last thing; I need a good and reliable (preferably long) self timer/delayed shutter release. Well, if I am narcissistic, that's my problem!

Thanks for your help in advance,

Jane
Jane Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 25, 2005, 1:44 PM   #2

These are my suggestions:

Canon 300 cost $750
Canon 350 cost $850
Canon 10D cost $950

You also could purchase the 300 or 10D on ebay for a great price. My priority list is the 10D, 350 and then the 300
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2005, 3:26 PM   #3
Super Moderator

i agree with gibson.. i used an eos 600for about 10 years before going all digital.. making the switch over to canon dslrs will be an easy thing for you, with both a knowledge of the eos system from your film days and through your knowledge of digital from your fuji 3100.. by the way,all the lenses you have for your 600will befully compatible with your new canon digital slr...

i also agree that a used 10d could be a nice camera to step up to, as it offers a metal body and convenient access to all major features.. you can find one for $850 in 10/10 conditionor $749 in 9/10 condition here..

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...Q=&ci=2891

if you have any desire to use any of the canon ef-s lenses, or just want to have the latest 8mp camera you can always get the 350d.. but realize that the body will be plastic, still durable, just not as much so, and the access layout isn't quite as good.. you can pick one up for $840 here..

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...Q=&ci=6222

they both offer self timer and mirror lockup functions..

just noticed you are in the UK

350d is £649.99 www.jessops.co.uk

coudlnt find the price on a used 10d in the uk.. but i am sure its pretty close to the new 350d..

good luck... Dustin

Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2005, 5:12 PM   #4

Before you buy read this review of the Rebel XT / 350 by Steve.

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2005_reviews/rebelxt.html

If you want it fast go to "Steve's Conclusion"
http://www.steves-digicams.com/2005_reviews/rebelxt_pg7.html

I rest my case.

dale

thatsanicepicture2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2005, 2:50 AM   #5
Super Moderator

Or even better still - http://www.warehouseexpress.com

350D body only - £539

As you already have an EOS lens collection I'd recommend starting with the body only, get used to the 1.6 multiplier and see how you go.

peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2005, 5:52 AM   #6

I use:-

http://www.parkcameras.com

Excellent Price and delivery

Carl.
CarlsPhotos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2005, 8:28 AM   #7

Thank you ALLso much for your very helpful suggestions; having read all your letters, it looks likethe most sensible thing I can do is to try and hunt down a lightly used Canon10D.

As I said in my original posting, I dearly love my old EOS 600 and I have collected quite a number of lenses, so it makes sense to use them. Which leads me onto one more question, if I haven't bored everyone blind.

What are the compatibility problems in using the old EOS lenses with a 10D?:evil: I assume some features will be lost, as one or two reviews I have now read seem to indicate that. Have any of you used EOS lenses with the 10D. If so were there any major problems?

Once more I really do appreciate all your answers and, if I get a 10D, I hope to post my reactions to it, and alsoto post some of the results. But first to find a decent second hand body that I can actually afford !!

Bye now, Jane.:bye:

Old May 28, 2005, 11:22 AM   #8

If your lenses are Canon brand EF autofocus lenses you lose no compatibility at all. They will work with a 10D just as they work with the film cameras.

If you own any third party (especially Sigma) older lenses you may not be able to use them. There have been compatibility problems with off brand lenses as the Canon DSLR line has evolved, but Canon brand lenses will work perfectly.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2005, 12:29 PM   #9
Super Moderator

like i mentioned earlier, i have used a eos 600 for many years before moving up to canon dslrs (have a 20d right now) and all of my canon lenses are perfectly interchangeable btwn the two..but as others have mentioned some older sigma's and 3rd parties have trouble, but not all, so if you have any,check them out.. the only thing you will need to get is a E-TTL flash as your 430EZ won't be compatible.. i chose the sigma 500 super as it has all the features of the 550ex for less than 200USD ..

enjoy your new camera and we look forward to hearing your reactions..

best regards, dustin
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2005, 4:53 PM   #10

Hi Greg,

Thanks so much for the posting. I do have a very old Tamron fish eye (with adaptor) which I never normally use, and a Sigma 500mm which is also gathering dust. But all my favorite lenses are all Canon, so I am not too worried about losing the use of either of my 'other make' lenses.

Thanks again for your help:-D

Jane.