Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old May 26, 2005, 1:37 PM   #1

Has anyone tried the Sigma 24-70mm F2.8 EX DG Macro lens on their Canon 20D? How does it perform with indoor people pics (skin tone, detail color accuracy) in low-light situations (with and without flash)?

The Canon equivalent is too expensive, therefore I was considering this instead.

agiaccio is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 26, 2005, 7:08 PM   #2

agiaccio,
I've been looking at this lens also. Here are some reviews:

http://photosig.pcphotoreview.com/pc...7_3128crx.aspx

There may also be some problems with quality control. Some love the lens and some really don't. So make sure you know the return policy before you buy. I called Sigma and they say they think the problems have been worked out.

Ron
surfnron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2005, 9:18 PM   #3

I just bought this lens a couple of months ago for my digital rebel. I don't think you will be dissappointed. It is a very good lens, I saw in the link surfnron provided. there was a lot of mention about the manual focus having to flip the switch and push the focus ring to manual. I really don't find this much of a problem it just keeps you from changing the focus if you accidenty grab the focus ring whilezooming. All in all though you can't beat it for the price compaired to canon L.I would love to have the L series lenses too, but I boughtthree sigma lens for the price of the 70-200L IS and have enough left over toorder a 1.4x teleconverter formy sigma 70-200 f2.8.
Caboose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2005, 11:48 PM   #4
Super Moderator

Caboose wrote:
Quote:
I just bought this lens a couple of months ago for my digital rebel. I don't think you will be dissappointed. It is a very good lens, I saw in the link surfnron provided. there was a lot of mention about the manual focus having to flip the switch and push the focus ring to manual. I really don't find this much of a problem it just keeps you from changing the focus if you accidenty grab the focus ring whilezooming. All in all though you can't beat it for the price compaired to canon L.I would love to have the L series lenses too, but I boughtthree sigma lens for the price of the 70-200L IS and have enough left over toorder a 1.4x teleconverter formy sigma 70-200 f2.8.

and thats what is so great about the EX line of sigma.. for the price of an L-series.. you get 2-3 lenses w/ the same image quality (check the MTF's if you don't believe me) as you do with the canon L-series..

agiaccio- you will not be disappointed.. enjoy your new lens..
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2005, 11:57 AM   #5

I purchased this lens, unfortunately with no return policy. My copy was very disappointing. Very soft at 2.8 and only a little better stopped down. I found a link somewhere that discussed front focusing problems with this lens, so I downloaded a focus test and began testing. Mine was indeed front focusing (at least according to my tests) so I have sent it to Sigma. I will say that the build quality is impressive as is the packaging (nice pouch and hood). The autofocus is a little noisy but seemed pretty quick. Hopefully it will come back a keeper.
Humrme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2005, 12:13 PM   #6
NHL

Humrme

Isn't the camera that does all the focusing while a lens is just passive?

-> shouldn't the AF sensor (in the camera) detect this and and command the lens focusing to turn the other way...
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2005, 7:54 PM   #7

My copy arrived at my job today. Fortunately I'd taken my camera with me, so I got to take a few shots at lunch. I have the "20D" problem. Sometimes it focuses and sometimes it doesn't. I called Sigma, and they said to return it to the seller or send it to them. I'm going to send it to Sigma after the holiday. I hope they fix it rather than send another lens which could do the same thing.
Ron
surfnron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2005, 7:31 PM   #8

I have this lens and I love it.
rob_strain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2005, 9:30 AM   #9

Sometimes works sometimes dont.....mmmm sounds good to me.

MTF charts.... not gonna help you now is it, Hardman ?

Canon 24-70L blows ths lens away. Do the right thing.

Get it on hp, sell a kidney, whatever.
LBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2005, 3:51 PM   #10

LBoy wrote:
Quote:
Sometimes works sometimes dont.....mmmm sounds good to me.

MTF charts.... not gonna help you now is it, Hardman ?

Canon 24-70L blows ths lens away. Do the right thing.

Get it on hp, sell a kidney, whatever.
In what way does the L blow the EX away? Price?
fstopjojo is offline   Reply With Quote