Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old May 26, 2005, 9:20 PM   #1

I just bought a new Canon and since it was sent via Fed Ex I thought I would give it a little shake to reassure myself it survived the trip unscathed. It may not have. Has anyone noticed something shaking in their Digital Rebel XT? I looked quickly at the battery area to see if the spring was shaking and I can't find what may be causing the noise. Has anyone else encountered this?

I just got it today and if need be, I want to send it back immediately if I am the only one with the problem.

It sounds like a loose piece of something shaking around freely.

Thanks everyone:?
tophman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 26, 2005, 10:29 PM   #2

That may be the orientation sensor--the device that tells the camera that you are holding in vertical mode. It rattles like that.
wburychka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2005, 10:38 PM   #3

Same kind of worried messages came out when the original Digital Rebel hit the market, and the orientation sensor is exactly what it was. Chances are it's the same for you too. On the original Rebel, the sensor is located near the prism area. Turn the camera on it's side or from side back to upright and you hear it. It may have been moved on the XT, or it may be in the same place. I've not handled one to see.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2005, 9:26 AM   #4

Mine rattled also. I figured out that it was a piece from the flash. When I opened the flash, the noise was gone. So I don't think it's a major thing. If it disturbs you, just leave the flash open ;-)
Iceseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2005, 5:19 PM   #5

Thanks for all the suggestions....IceSeven was right about it being related to the flash. They use two metal brackets that help support the flash when it raises and lowers. Once you activate the flashthey lock in place and the noise is gone.

I love the camera! I came from a Sony DSC S85...wow.....what a difference, lol.

So far, I love it! Now for the lens quest....

Wish I had some more money......:O
tophman is offline   Reply With Quote