Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old May 29, 2005, 9:49 AM   #1

I'm trying to see if anyone else has problems with their latch on the Canon 1.4TC.

The latch/switch which holds/locks the TC to the lens on my TC slowly started to not work. I would have to press the switch into place and then it would be fine.

I was sending some other equipment into Canon to get repaired so I send the TC as well. The repaired it (for $60) and the latch seemed to work.

The first day of serious shooting (from 8am to 6pm) and slowly over the course of the day the TC stopped locking. I didn't think much of it (dumb!) and kept using it 'cause it was an amazing day of bird photography (literally I saw hundreds of warblers alone.)

Near the end, when I picked up my tripod (with camera attached) the TC came undone and the camera and TC poped off the lens and bounced on the pavement. Now my camera doesn't turn on.

Clearly I'm going to call Canon on Tuesday and give them a piece of my mind. They should repair it for free and I'd prefer a new TC as I don't trust this one any more.

I know someone else who has problems with their 2xTC of a similar manor as my first problem. The latch doesn't always lock, but when you move it with your thumb it works fine. Does anyone else have a problem with the lock/latch on their 1.4TC?

Note that mine is a Mark II, not a "first edition".

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 31, 2005, 2:58 PM   #2
djb

Eric, that's a big ouch!!!!! sorry to hear that. i have a 1.4X but, it's new and so far i haven't had any problems with the few times i've used it. i will definitely keep a check on it in the future. is your equipment insured for breakage??? personally, i feel canon should repair the camera for free (if not, replace it) and give you a new TC. what a bummer!!!!

dennis
djb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2005, 3:14 PM   #3

Thanks.

Ya, and the really sucky thing is that I'm going on a once-a-year trip to photograph osprey as they hunt fish in Maine this weekend.

They are going to expedite the repair and try to get it back to me by Friday. And I'm not going to pay for any of it (except shipping.)

I asked them to pay for a rental, and they said no (they don't do that for Shooting Canon Professional either they said.) I asked them to replace the 1.4TC and they wouldn't do that either.

But by being the squeaky wheel I hopefully won't have to rent a 10D (yep, I can't rent the 20D) or a 1D MkII for the weekend. It will cost me either 125 or 225 a day, so we'll see. And I don't think I can rent a TC. Lets hope it doesn't come to that. They basically have a 1-day window to repair it and ship it back to me. If this wasn't a short week I'd bet they could do it, but the loss of Monday might scr*w me.

Eric
Old May 31, 2005, 3:20 PM   #4
djb

Eric, you can borrow my 1.4TC if needed!!! we could meet somewhere thursday or friday morning or noon or so. sorry, can't borrow the camera.

dennis
Old Jun 1, 2005, 1:28 PM   #5

Eric,

I can overnight you my 1.4x TC if you want it, if you'll pay for shipping. I don't need it back in a hurry.

Barthold
barthold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2005, 4:25 PM   #6

I thank you both for that wonderful offer.
More investigation showed me that I can rent a TC for $20 a day (same place that rents the camera bodies.)

Canon is going to try and get the equipment repaired by priority fixing it and over-nighting it to me at home on Friday or to where I'm staying over the weekend to photograph the osprey. It will be a bit of luck if they can do it... they got to today at 10am; if they find it quickly on the flat of 800 items for repair, they will have until tomorrow at 4'ish to fix it so a priority overnight shipping will get it back to me in time.

Damn, just realized that it is too late to call them and get a status of the repair. I don't know if they found it quickly or not.

To save $40 bucks isn't worth the risk of me damaging one of you guy's TCs. I will be shooting a lot this weekend and I'd feel really bad if something happened.

I do really appreciate the offer, though. It means a lot to me that you'd trust me with your equipment without having met me (I can't say "without knowing me" as we've talked enough over the forum that we do know each other to some extent.)

Eric
Old Jun 1, 2005, 7:46 PM   #7
djb

Eric, $40 is $40 and the offer still stands.

dennis

p.s. get some really good shots. you know we all will be expecting to see some of them!!! oh, that's not too much opressure is it?:-)
Old Jun 2, 2005, 12:50 AM   #8

Hey Eric,

No problem, I'm quite sure you would take care of my TC and return it to me, I have no doubt about that! For $20 rent a day it is probably not worth shipping it overnight. You're better off taking djb up on his offer!

Barthold
Old Jun 2, 2005, 8:30 AM   #9

So far the weather looks good, so I'm hoping to get some good stuff. My understanding is that its just an amazing event to watch, with 20+ osprey hunting right in front of you. And you don't need more than a 400mm (so they must be really close.)

What I can't decide is if I'm going to rent, would the better AF of the 1D MkII out weigh the new-ness of it. It has an entirely different interface and custom functions than the consumer line of cameras. If I had more time (and it was cheaper to rent) I'd do it in a heart beat. But since I'd have to pick it up tomorrow and learn it in a day, I'm not sure I want to try it. But boy is it tempting.

djb, I'll send you a private message and we can go from there. Ya, $40 is $40... so why not save some money?

Eric
Old Jun 2, 2005, 3:32 PM   #10

If you rent a 1D Mark II you might wind up buying one after the weekend :-) You're sure you want to take that 'risk'?

BTW, Where is this event?

Barthold