Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old May 30, 2005, 2:24 PM   #1

Quick question if you had option of either 1D or 20D what one would you go for.

Need quick answer as option to buy 1D is going fast.

Thanks.
russellsnr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 30, 2005, 4:55 PM   #2

Depends

If the 1D is second hand and the 20D is brand new I would go 20D, you have a full warranty with a new camera and 13 mp against 8mp isn't so great. Also depends on what you want it for, the 20D will do 5 frames a second and the 1D I believe is only about 2.5 frames a second. Don't quote me on that though.

If you're into studio work only then if the price is right the 1D could be the right way to go. You need to decide your goals and make the decision on them rather than on what might seem like a good deal.

Hope this helps

cheers

Mart.
mf_blues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2005, 6:13 PM   #3

Only thing I can add here is if used how much use has the 1d seen? The 1D has a hardened/weathersealed pro body.

Also while slower operating and older technology than the 20D, it does have a fullframe sensor. So its photosites are bigger and more spread out which helps to produce a better image. And the battery in the 1d is a monster :-)

Peter.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2005, 1:31 AM   #4

mf_blues wrote:
Quote:
Depends

If the 1D is second hand and the 20D is brand new I would go 20D, you have a full warranty with a new camera and 13 mp against 8mp isn't so great. Also depends on what you want it for, the 20D will do 5 frames a second and the 1D I believe is only about 2.5 frames a second. Don't quote me on that though.

If you're into studio work only then if the price is right the 1D could be the right way to go. You need to decide your goals and make the decision on them rather than on what might seem like a good deal.

Hope this helps

cheers

Mart.
Actually the 1D is only 4.48 mp not 13 that is the 1Ds. Big difference. I think it depends on what you are going to use it for. If you need high frame rate (8 fps) and a 45 point auto focus. I would say go for it as long as it is in good shape. Is it better? That is up to you, 20D is a newer design, but enthusiast, 1D professional.
miatapaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2005, 7:39 AM   #5

If you are a professional sports photographer or photojournalist, then the 1d makes sense. Of course, if you were, you would already know that. For general purpose photography where you do not often need the high frame rate or weather sealing, then you are just buying a low-res used camera. The 20D's 8.2 MP and other modern features will do more for you.

My suggestion is none-of-the-above, but rather a 350D, aka Rebel XT. You'll get high quality 8 MP imagesin afast startup, new technology camera for a lot less money. And my position on DSLR bodies is always...buy the least expensive body you can live with, and put your money into lenses. ALL the DSLRs available today will be obsolete in just a few years. Good lenses will live on.

That high frame rate and weather sealing (and the weather sealing only works with certain L lenses, as I understand it) won't make you a better photographer. On the other hand, when you do get a great shot, the 8MP of the 350D (or 8.2MP of 20D for $500 more) will give you a better enlargement with greater detail.

Just one more opinion worth exactly what you paid for it!

Bill
wburychka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2005, 10:49 AM   #6

Good advice !!!

You're right. Good/great lenses will live on while the camera will become obsolete in a coupple of years. Still usable and in great working condition but will be obsolete.

If you can afford the 20D, great, but also get good lenses that will live on for your next system. :|

EsCee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2005, 12:04 PM   #7

Quote:

Actually the 1D is only 4.48 mp not 13 that is the 1Ds. Big difference. I think it depends on what you are going to use it for. If you need high frame rate (8 fps) and a 45 point auto focus. I would say go for it as long as it is in good shape. Is it better? That is up to you, 20D is a newer design, but enthusiast, 1D professional.

Correct, I got my wires crossed on the Models, thanks for pointing that out.

cheers

Mart.
mf_blues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2005, 3:46 PM   #8

Hi, Thanks for the input. As I already own the 10D I think i'll go for the lens option, I visit Florida at the end of July and as things are a lot cheaper in USA than in UK I wiil grind down on my teeth and wait. (I take it you have all heard the saying "MONEY BURNING A HOLE IN MY POCKET") yea my pants are on fire.:-)
russellsnr2 is offline   Reply With Quote