Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Jun 1, 2005, 9:17 AM   #1

Even called Canon rep that tried to help me navigate to the 20d pages to get the specs. He couldn't find it either and he had no explanation as to why the material wasn't available.

Does anyone know in Canon is coming out with a replacement for the EOS 20D, just in time to proceed the Nikon d50 release? Or is the web page just being updated?

I'm looking to pickup a digital SLR within the next few weeks and would wait for a "projected" d20 replacement if such were in the works.

Thanks Kindly!
:?:
Stewart668 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 1, 2005, 10:01 AM   #2

Maybe they asume the Rebel XT is good enough for a 20d Replacement.

maybe not...

SinRastro
SinRastro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2005, 10:04 AM   #3

Possibly, I answered my own question. See below:

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0506/05...20da.asp#press

Follow the link for the remainder of the press release

Canon has today announced that its specialized EOS 20Da, which was at first introduced as a Japan-only model, will now be available in the rest of the world. The EOS 20Da is identical to the EOS 20D except for a modification to the low-pass filter, which now filters less infrared (IR). This camera is best suited to astrophotography as well as infrared photography. It would be possible to use it as a normal camera but would require an external IR cut filter. In addition the camera has a partially transmissive mirror, which enables live focusing on the LCD monitor (this can only be done for short times and requires the mirror to be locked up). Pricing has not yet been announced.

Old Jun 1, 2005, 1:49 PM   #4

I doubt that they would discontinue the regular 20D just to replace it with a specialized astronomy model. There must be some mistake on the page somehow...

H
bigboyhf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2005, 1:56 PM   #5

I agree, bigboyhf. I was implying, by providing that link, that potentially the Canon "webmaster" was updating the site with an addendum of the 20Da and in the process, fowled up the works, so to speak.

Old Jun 1, 2005, 5:52 PM   #6

After calling them it appears it is definitely linked to the release of the 20a. Go figure... They said that the links to the 20D should be back within 24 hours. I'm assuming that the 20D is not being discontinued but that the 20Da will just be another model available for the astrophotographers out there. I could be wrong, but that seems the most likely scenario.

H
bigboyhf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2005, 9:09 PM   #7

20Da was announced over half a year ago in Japan. Costs about double what a 20D does and is OK but not great for teresterial shooting. It made quite a stir in the astronomy forums. Then died out, seems the custom modified versions of the drebel and 20D perform better for astronomy, but they are next to usless for teresterial shooting. The modification (removel of the internal IR filter) also costs about the same as the body.

20D seesm to be there :-)
Canada http://www.canon.ca/english/index-pr...23&gid=2&ovr=1
USA http://consumer.usa.canon.com/ir/con...&modelid=10464

Peter
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote