Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Jun 1, 2005, 9:27 PM   #1

I'm wondering how soft an image can be sharpened to tack sharp. Would someone please post a before and after image - maybe an eye or something small with much detail. It would be nice if they were side by side so that every one could compare directly without scrolling.
The reason I ask is because using PS Elements 2.0, I don't seem to be able to get something tack sharp unless it's almost there already.
Thanx,
Ron
Edit to add that I'm using a 20D and mostly a Sigma 150mm macro lens.
surfnron is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 1, 2005, 9:52 PM   #2

You mention that some of your images can be nicely sharpened yet for some you can't get the result you would like. Could these images be slightly out of focus?

For slightly out of focus images (or ones with very slight motion blur) I use Focus Magic instead of USM in PSE. It works pretty well for small corrections, however I still don't think it would always give acceptable results if I were printing at larger than 5x7.

Instead of having us post before and after examples, maybe it would be better if you could post a problem image and we could take a shot at trying to improve it.

Regards,

Bob
BobA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2005, 10:51 PM   #3

I wouldn't get really too hopeful in terms of what you can do to save an image that wasn't focussed well in the first place. Unsharp masking is there to help re-sharpen an image that was focussed well and just lost some of the edge sharpness naturally in the digitalization process. It's even trickier if you're talking about trying to sharpen even more a JPEG image that's already been subject to in-camera sharpening.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2005, 11:41 PM   #4

Greg Chappell wrote:
Quote:
I wouldn't get really too hopeful in terms of what you can do to save an image that wasn't focussed well in the first place. Unsharp masking is there to help re-sharpen an image that was focussed well and just lost some of the edge sharpness naturally in the digitalization process. It's even trickier if you're talking about trying to sharpen even more a JPEG image that's already been subject to in-camera sharpening.

I agree, there is only so much you can do. However if surfnron posts a sample pic we may be able to tell if it is a problem with focus or sharpening technique.
Old Jun 2, 2005, 9:23 PM   #5

Thanx guys. Good idea. Here's a photo that has only been resized and levels bumped:

Thanx,
Ron
PS: Taken with tripod to eliminate movement.
Old Jun 2, 2005, 11:23 PM   #6

Hmmm, parts of the picture definitely look in focus to me, and if it hasn't been sharpened already, it doesn't look like much USM is needed.

What part of this image were you hoping to get nice and sharp that already isn't?

Bob
Old Jun 3, 2005, 8:54 AM   #7

Well, it would be nice if all of the petals were sharp, but the dof is not great enough for that. So the lighter petal just does not seem as crisp as it should be to me. Is it possible that some other post action besides sharpening would help?
Thanx again,
Ron