Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Jun 3, 2005, 12:42 PM   #1

Iam planning to upgrade my rebel XT to 20d.
Well the price diff is around 450$. (sell my XT for 750$)

I was happy with my rebel XT for past 5 weeks until I came across 20d. I tried one from friend for couple of hours.

Man that's the true DSLR.. I got carried away buy the feel of it compared to XT.

I know it's bit difficult for me to bear with 450$ .

So I am here asking for ur help.

1)What are all the advantage of the upgrade.
2)Any advise for not upgrading.

please help me out with this deilam.

pasu_chennai

pasu_chennai is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 3, 2005, 1:09 PM   #2

Wow, and I thought I was weird when I bought the XT a year after I bought the stylus 410 :blah:

Well, you (as well as I) would definitely prefer the "feel" of the 20D over the Xt, but ask youself something.

Are there an unusual amount of times I'm frustrated with the limitations on the XT? IE wishing to have ISO 3200 or want a faster fps. If this is the case, then you wouldn't be overall happy with the camera, and then you should upgrade.

Don't get me wrong, the physical feel of the SLR in your hand is an important factor... But seeing how you invested in the XT recently... considering its release date wasn't too long ago...and want to upgrade to the 20D is a small jump in my opinion.

8 vs 8.2 MP
3 vs 5 FPS
1600 vs 3200 ISO
7 vs 9 AF points
9 vs (something greater than 9 :-) ) custom functions

In my opinion, I'd wait for the model after the 20D, or possibly even the one AFTER that, if you're patient enough. You'll probably have more satisfaction when you upgrade then. A downside in that idea, though, is that you'll probably sell the XT lower than 750 by that time.

Plus, you can invest that 400 into something else like a lens.
BoYFrMSpC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2005, 1:37 PM   #3
Administrator

pasu_chennai wrote:
Quote:
Iam planning to upgrade my rebel XT to 20d.
Well the price diff is around 450$. (sell my XT for 750$)
Well, you can buy a new black XT body for $839.95 now from B&H, or the kit with an 18-55mm lens for $899.95 now. I don't know what the used market is for the XT at this point. If you're talking about the body only, I certainly wouldn't go used for $750.00, when I could go new forless than$100.00 difference from a very reputable vendor that I could rely on to swap out the camera if it arrived with any problems.

Some internet vendors have it for even less (the silverbody is $789.00 at buydig.com right now, or you can pickup a black body for $808.97).

But, given that it is a new model, perhaps the used market is better than I think.

Quote:
I was happy with my rebel XT for past 5 months until I came across 20d. I tried one from friend for couple of hours.
I think you probably mean 5 weeks versus 5 months. The Rebel XT wasn't even announced until February 17th (with camera review sites getting pre-production models with pre-release firmware for their first looks in February).

AFAIK, no dealers had them in stock until early March.

I'll let others comment on the differences.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2005, 1:48 PM   #4
Super Moderator

also keep in mind that you are not going to use the 3200 very often.. that is like a last ditch setting..heck, i dont think i have even ever used it.. everyone always talks about the ability to shoot in low light and having that extra ISO being a huge help.. but how often do we shoot in pitch blackness, or why even would we want to.. and if you do bump up the ISO so you can shoot in darkness.. there is noise and its more noticeable in darkness... better to learn to use your flash effectively..

choosing to pay 450 more because you prefer the feel of the 20d over the rebel xt when you are first buying the camera is one thing.. but to sell your rebel xt and pay 450 more after you already have it for the feel of it is another thing.. (plus as jim mentioned, getting 750 might not be that easy)..

if the rebel xt was in some way limiting your photography, or your ability to take good pictures... then maybe i would say go for it.. but getting a 20d is not going to improve your skills, nor is it going to improve your pictures.. if you have a burning desire to part with 450 dollars, i would say pick up a new lens,tripod,flash,etc.. something that will improve your pictures.. and something you can take with you when you do need a new camera..

but thats just my 2 cents, and its your money to do with as you wish...

best of luck, dustin

Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2005, 2:14 PM   #5

Don't upgrade to the 20D. That is a little hasty. Wait until there is a successor, or some other new DSLR camera that Canon comes out with in a similar price range, then upgrade to that.
Ponin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2005, 2:57 PM   #6

Thanks for all ur suggestions .. so far.. i misstyped as 5 months instead of 5 weeks...

looking forward for some more replies...
pasu_chennai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2005, 2:26 AM   #7

I'm in the same boat but I haven't made a purchase yet. I really perfer the feel of the 20D over the XT but he difference in features just doesn't add up to >$400. The other thing is that this will be my first SLR (digital or otherwise) which means I'll probably need a lot of equipment that I don't even know about yet. But thats a completely seperate thread. :-)

My wife has pretty much convinced me to go with the XT and spend the difference on another lens (or whatever). Considering both cameras produce very similar pictures its hard to argue with that logic.

Have you tried the XT with the optional battery pack yet? I have not but that might produce a feel similar to the one you find in the 20D by simply increasing the weight.

Chris S.
Chris S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2005, 12:02 PM   #8

:idea:IMHO, the best reason for going for the 20D woulb beit's build quality over the 350D, it should last years longer than the 350D. But who keeps a digital camera that long? They change faster than computers. So, just a thought, save the extra you would pay for the 20D, buy the Battery grip and shoot away :-).

jlhowell
jlhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2005, 12:04 PM   #9
Super Moderator

i just want to reiterate that you can buy a real nice lens for 450USD that will last you through several generations ofcameras..
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2005, 3:50 PM   #10

Chris S wrote:
Quote:
I'm in the same boat but I haven't made a purchase yet. I really perfer the feel of the 20D over the XT but he difference in features just doesn't add up to >$400. The other thing is that this will be my first SLR (digital or otherwise) which means I'll probably need a lot of equipment that I don't even know about yet. But thats a completely seperate thread. :-)

Have you tried the XT with the optional battery pack yet? I have not but that might produce a feel similar to the one you find in the 20D by simply increasing the weight.

Chris S.
Chris, this is my situation almost exactly. I went to a shop today where I compared the 20D and the XT. The 20D feels so much better in my hand, while the XT is a bit too small. I tried it with the battery pack, but that didn't really help with anything except the weight. Now I'm trying to decide whether grip comfort and build quality are worth the extra $500. Like you, this is my first SLR. Also like you, I'm having a hard time not getting the XT (even if it is too small for my hands) and spending the money on a better lens.
vjack is offline   Reply With Quote