Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Jun 5, 2005, 1:31 PM   #1

Hello everyone. Looks like I might be picking up a Rebel XT this week, and I'm just wondering a few things:

1) What do you use your XT for the most? I'm upgrading from a Kodak point and shoot, and I mostly shoot landscapes, architecture, etc.

2) What is the largest enlargement you've made from an XT shot? My Kodak's pictures lacked detail and clarity, even at 5.0mp, and I could barely print an 8x10 without noticiting a lot of artifacts and noise.

3) Could you post a shot from your XT in this thread? I've looked through the photo posting forum, but I couldn't find a way to search by camera.

Thanks so much!
okcomputer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 5, 2005, 1:46 PM   #2

Just for a start if you upgrade from a P&S cam to a DSRL cam you will get looooots of differences.

I mainly shoot people candids or portraits.

You would be able to print really good quality at A3 or even bigger.

You can see really good samples here taken with great lens.

Samples

HereĀ“s some "normal" people samples:

Samples

Hope you can use this info.
SinRastro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2005, 3:04 PM   #3

I use mine mostly for portraits & gardening. I posted this up b4 but this was in the lens forum

With the kit lens...
Took it on jpg format (large fine)
Just shrunk the image with photoshop. Nothing else.

So far the largest pic I ever printed out was 4 x 6. I'm planning to print out a 13 x 19 image when I rent a 24-70mm 2.8L.

And btw, I don't think the kit lens is too good for landscape photography. I only take the shots at 55mm because that seems the sharpest for me. It could be just my lens. But 18mm isn't really great.
BoYFrMSpC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2005, 4:54 PM   #4

Thanks! I'm hoping to be able to print some 11x14s.

Nice shot of the cat. I'm getting excited to get my hands on the damn camera. Just have to line up the buyer for my Kodak.

What would you suggest for a starter's lens for landscape shots? I think the kit lens will be fine for getting my feet wet with the XT, but I know I'll need a longer zoom and a wide-angle lens as well.

I hope to get the camera this week and then on July 3rd I'm heading to Montreal on my honeymoon - hope to find a deal on a lens or two there and do some architectural shooting (such a beautiful city!).
Old Jun 5, 2005, 5:15 PM   #5
Super Moderator

the kit lens is a good start.. be careful when trying to get a "deal" on a lens or two.. when it comes to dslrs, they are only as good as the lens on them.. therefore buying a cheap lens or two now is not in your best interest.. it will only cause you to regret it in the future and spend even more to replace them.. better to wait and see what your needs in a lens are.. by using the kit lens for a while, you will see whether you need a wide angle and/or telephoto and will have a better idea of what specs you need in a lens..

best of luck to you, dustin
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2005, 1:22 PM   #6

Hello,

First, its an awesome camera, I've had so much fun playing with it and learning how to use it ( I'm definately still learning).

I've used it with the kit lens for some informal portrait, close up, and land scape shots.

most of my pictures are on http://community.webshots.com/user/atx202all the galleries on there are taken with the XT and the 18-55mm kit lens, except the gallery saying old old old photos.

I've attached oe of the photos i've taken with it.

Good luck and have funwith the camera when you get it!
Attached Images

ATX202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2005, 2:41 PM   #7

okcomputer wrote:
Quote:
3) Could you post a shot from your XT in this thread?
I am sure you will love your camera. This time of the year I take a lot of high school girls softball pics so the XT has that job now. Here are some links to some pictures I have posted in this forum. The last two on the list were within the first three days i had the camera.
Amy The catcher
Uh... It's gonna be a fastball dude.
HELLDOG
Inde the border collie
Silver Dollar blossom

Here's a picture and the data. (SIGMA 70-300 APO)
I wanted to be able to see her expression when she pitched.... I got it.

Camera Model
Canon EOS DIGITAL REBEL XT
Shooting Date/Time
5/27/2005 7:35:22 PM
Shooting Mode
Manual Exposure
Tv( Shutter Speed )
1/1000
Av( Aperture Value )
Metering Mode
Evaluative Metering
ISO Speed
Lens
70.0 - 300.0mm
Focal Length
300.0mm
Image Size
3456x2304
Image Quality
Fine
Flash
Off
White Balance Mode
Auto
AF Mode
AI Servo AF
Parameters Settings
Contrast Mid. High
Sharpness Mid. High
Color saturation Mid. High
Color tone 0
Color Space
sRGB
Noise Reduction
Off
File Size
2847KB
Attached Images

thatsanicepicture2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2005, 1:33 PM   #8

Thanks everyone! Picked up my Rebel XT last night and I'm loving it. After a quick battery charge, I've been snapping shots and learning how to use the thing.

The kit lens is actually decent, and I'll be able to live with just it for a little while. I've already decided that my first purchase will be a wide-angle lens though. Any suggestions on that front?
Old Jun 8, 2005, 5:45 PM   #9

You're best bet is to check the lens forum. Currently, the widest zoom lens for sale is the EF-S 10-22mm. The widest prime is the the sigma 8mm. But, as you can guess, these are pretty expensive. I also remember a suggestion of the Sigma 17-35 some time ago.
Old Jun 8, 2005, 5:59 PM   #10

Here's a link with someone's experience with the 10-22mm with images

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...66&forum_id=65