Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Jun 10, 2005, 9:10 PM   #11

One more thing . . . what F STop?
GovtLawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2005, 1:51 PM   #12

GovtLawyer wrote:
Quote:
I don't want to seem too naive, but perhaps I am. Let me see if I understand how you took this photo. You set up a tripod and pointed it in the direction of the storm. 30 sec at 100 ISO, and you were lucky enough that a flash of lightening happened during that time? If there was no lightening, you end up with a black or almost black frame? If so, how many times did you try this where you didn't catch anything?

Also, did you put the eyepiece cover on?

BTW: Great shot!
The texas thunderstorm provided a great amount of lighting so yes you have it right...however out of the 60 shots of so I took only 4 didn't have any lightning in them.

the f/stop was f/8 not closed too much so it doesn't block out the light but still stopped so much that it would improve focus.
matthew2000tx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2005, 4:04 PM   #13

That cloud looks so menacing :?
Paul(UK) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2005, 9:44 AM   #14

Awesome shot! Thanks for sharing. I too, like the uncropped version.

David

Railfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2005, 4:38 PM   #15

Hey nice shot! You said you had the "mirror lock up", what do you mean by that?? please explain, i've got a 20d and i'm not sure what you're talking about...

-mike-
johnsonM86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2005, 7:52 PM   #16

it is a custsom function (cf 12) (note: functons only show up in the "creative modes" P and above on the wheel.) What the mirror lock up does is it will swing the mirror up and black out the view finder before shutter is opened. It does this to reduce camera shake that is often a problem in slow shutter speeds. When using mirror lock up I find that it is more effective to set the self timer, because it will give the camera more time to become stable before the shutter curtian is opened. Because your finger pressing on the shutter makes the camera shake. To futher reduce shake in low light use a HEAVY HEAVY tripod. I have a nice 20-30 pounder that is actually a bogen video camera support. As I was on the padio of my apartment it was windy I found it usefull to rubber band my camera strap in a bundel b/c otherwise it acted like a wind sock.

I don't know if you know about long exposure noise reduction. CF 2 I turned that on when I'm doing my night photography how ever it take a long time sometimes for the picture to save because it is reducing noise. I had greater success turning that feature off becuase of the amount of lighting.

Read my post " I have to say this about the 20D" It explains how much I love the pro features of this camera. Something that you don't get on the consumer dSLR's and what I call Wally World Digitals

Attached in a great shot however you can see the effects of camera shake and that distorts the image
Attached Images

Old Jun 16, 2005, 6:24 AM   #17

matthew2000tx wrote:
Quote:
I find that it is more effective to set the self timer, because it will give the camera more time to become stable before the shutter curtian is opened. Because your finger pressing on the shutter makes the camera shake. To futher reduce shake in low light use a HEAVY HEAVY tripod.
Would mirror lock up be any benefit when taking this sort of photo? Wasn't it nearly total darkness before the lightning started?
Paul(UK) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2005, 1:58 PM   #18

You might think that is was totally dark but I was in the middle of the city and you could see the blur on the stationary things like in the above photo. Yes lighting acts like a flash, and it will speciffically dosen't need any type of anti-shake.
Old Jun 17, 2005, 10:32 PM   #19

I also think that you did a very good job in all of these photos. Do you ever have your pictures published?

How hard is it for you to get a good lightning shot on a stormy night? Do you ususally get 1 or 2 a night, or is it really rare to get an awesome shot like you have gotten?
Photoguy872005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2005, 12:51 AM   #20

Wow. I flattered...I haven't been published other and a small college paper that I volunteered for. Also I was a photog. for my highschool paper and yearbook...all of those were sports.

Well, I got around 20 shots that were good that night...believe it or not this was my first time to attempt photograph lighting.

I'm a senior in college...not majoring in photography or art...I'm an elementary major. I do do freelance.

As far as lighting storms we don't get that many storms other and really severe tornado ones so I don't attempt to be out in the storms too much.
Photoguy872005 wrote:
Quote:
I also think that you did a very good job in all of these photos. Do you ever have your pictures published?

How hard is it for you to get a good lightning shot on a stormy night? Do you ususally get 1 or 2 a night, or is it really rare to get an awesome shot like you have gotten?