Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Jun 11, 2005, 5:36 AM   #1
DMW

Hi all,

I just wanted to drop in and say hi.

After a month of reading reviews and seeing pics from people here I have taken the plunge and upgraded from a Kodak DX6490 to the 350D.

I must say first impression is WOW !!!

It's going to take me months to figure out even half the functions of this beast.

I will post some shots for you to comment on as soon as I can.

Any advise would be much appreciated.

DMW
DMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 11, 2005, 7:17 AM   #2

Hello DMW and welcome to the forum. Congrats on your purchase of a DSLR. If you need help this will be the place. There arelots of users here that will be able to answer many if not all of your questions. Enjoy your new camera. Looking forward to seeing of of your images.

GOOD LUCK,

Sam:|
lauricel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2005, 12:18 PM   #3

Welcome abord DMW!

Nice choice!

Hope to see your pics soon!

SinRastro
SinRastro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2005, 6:32 AM   #4
DMW

Thanks guys.

I am on a very steep learning curve but the camera is so user friendly. I took this picture yesterday using the "close up" setting and the kit lens.

Sorry if thats too big for the post but I attached the pic as a link and made the mistake of clicking the link while in the preview, I lost my post. :?

Anyway, I am trying to use the "P" setting to get used to the manual settings but I am finding it hard to get the perfect focus, I think I need to read up on the "F" numbers. I love the option to choose which of the 7 focus points to use, thats very nice.

I found the first few pictures slightly "washed out" for my taste but increasing the saturation setting cured that.

My only other problem I have at the moment is the built in flash, I don't like the lighting produced when using it. I have a seperate flash gun (not a Canon one) but I need to figure out how to stop the camera over exposing when using it. On my 6490 I put masking tape over the built in flash so the camera thought it was using flash and exposed accordingly but I was able to bounce the light using the stand alone gun.

Is there an effective way of taking pictures in low light (i.e. indoors) without flash but still using a fast enough shutter speed to avoid blur?

I hope to get the 75 - 300 mm lens this weekend also.

All I need now is some nice weather and I can realy have some fun. :-)

Old Jun 13, 2005, 6:43 AM   #5
NHL

DMW wrote:
Quote:
My only other problem I have at the moment is the built in flash, I don't like the lighting produced when using it. I have a seperate flash gun (not a Canon one) but I need to figure out how to stop the camera over exposing when using it. On my 6490 I put masking tape over the built in flash so the camera thought it was using flash and exposed accordingly but I was able to bounce the light using the stand alone gun.
Put the camera on manual, and do not use the built-in flash
Most likely your separate flash gun will have an auto mode and this will work fine - you'll just have to match the shutter/ aperture to match that of the external flash gun...
-> Tell us what external flash you have and some folks here might have the same model as well :idea:

Quote:
Is there an effective way of taking pictures in low light (i.e. indoors) without flash but still using a fast enough shutter speed to avoid blur?
Can you can increase the camera ISO?
... the next step is to use 'faster' lenses - for example an f/2.8 lens is four times as bright as an f/5.6 :-)
(but then they are heavier as a result of the larger optics and the metals to keep it whole -> more $$$)
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2005, 8:44 AM   #6
DMW

NHL wrote:
Quote:
-> Tell us what external flash you have and some folks here might have the same model as well :idea:
This is the flash I have.

http://www.jessops.com/search/viewpr...;WORD_SEARCH=N&&

I will do some testing with different ISO speeds. Is there a way to maintain a fast shutter speed, to reduce blur of moving objects, while allowing enough light in to get a well lit scene (without flash) indoors?

Old Jun 13, 2005, 9:15 AM   #7
NHL

It's not a dedicated flash, but have an 'Auto' mode so that's good... This is a Jessop special so I don't think we have this is the States.

Set the camera on manual 1/60s and just matched the aperture on the camera to match that of the flash - ie keep the built-in flash de-activated
(also the ISO setting has to be equal)
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2005, 3:30 AM   #8
DMW

Thanks for your replies.

I have spent this week messing around with different settings and have found the most effective way of improving photos taken with flash was the ISO speed.

By using a higher ISO the quality of picture taken using the built in flash has improved 10 fold but I do have to watch the amount of noise that is produced in some shots.

It seems that the chart on the back of my flash gun is about as much use to me as a chocolate fire guard, I have achieved some nice results but I think I will only use the flash gun for scenes that will wait for me to get the right settings.

I have another question but I will make a new post.

Thanks again.