Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Jun 13, 2005, 4:02 AM   #1

Hi, i'm a proud oly c740UZ user and now i'm going to buy a Digital SLR.
My idea was to take the e300, but in some review i've seen that the image quality of canon eos350D is better.

What i have to do???
metallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 14, 2005, 9:20 AM   #2

The 350D is infinitely better in many respects. FAR LESS digital noise in your pictures--especially at ISO above 100--is enough reason itself. Also consider that the Canon EF lens mount has more OEM and third party lenses available than any other camera, and because everyone makes lenses for Canon, they tend to be somewhat less expensive. Hardly anyone makes lenses for the Oly E-1 or E300.

Oly uses the 4/3 sensor system. While that 4/3 CCD idea made a lot of sense on paper, so far, no one but Oly is using it. That could change, but I doubt it. Kodak, one of the original 4/3 group, used a FF CMOS sensor in its DSLR. Fuji, another member of that standards group, has opted for the 3:2 sensor (mfd by Sony, if I'm not mistaken). Present technology--and that could change next year or next week--cannot produce a digital camera sensor in that small size with sufficient pixels and at the same time low noise.

The 350D is almost as small as the E300, yet it has the advantages of larger DSLRs. This decision should be a no-brainer, unless you work for Olympus. What do you need to do, you ask? Take your credit card or checkbook down to the camera store and say to the man, "Sir, I wish to purchase a Canon 350D."
wburychka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2005, 3:28 PM   #3

350D is faster, less noise, MUCH better lens selection... It's a no-brainer indeed.
ChrisDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2005, 1:45 PM   #4

My dad has a e-300 I have a 20d I think that the 20D is a better deal. It feels like a camera you don't have to baby. I didn't get the XT because I have bigger hand and the body was way too small. I felt the 300d felt cheap and the lenes didn't zoom as soomthly as my 28-135mm IS.. If you are already in the canon SLR line it isn't worth the switch My father as a EOS 1V, 550EX flash and a few lenses...$1,000's of dollar just setting in the closet. IF I were my father I would have stayed with the canon line.
matthew2000tx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2005, 7:34 AM   #5

Not sure it's quite so straightforward.Remember most of the Canon lenses are actually made for 35mm film. There are only 4 EF-S lenses designed for the sensor, so you're a bit restricted.Sigma make lenses for the 4/3 system and there will almost certainly be a new Panasonic 4/3 DLSR out in the near future.The problem for the Olympus system, IMO, is that there is no Image Stabilisation of any kind available. Doesn't matter if you only do landscapes/portraits admittedly, but it's a pity if you want to use telephoto lenses. There are rumours however that they're going to put IS in the body on the next camera. If true then4/3 becomes a very attractive system, with superb quality bodies and lenses and the whole thing designed from the ground up for digital. The noise problem will be a non-issue in years to come. Maybe Canon have a slight lead at the moment, but not for long.
Technophile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2005, 9:08 PM   #6

Technophile wrote:
Quote:
Not sure it's quite so straightforward.Remember most of the Canon lenses are actually made for 35mm film. There are only 4 EF-S lenses designed for the sensor, so you're a bit restricted.Sigma make lenses for the 4/3 system and there will almost certainly be a new Panasonic 4/3 DLSR out in the near future.The problem for the Olympus system, IMO, is that there is no Image Stabilisation of any kind available. Doesn't matter if you only do landscapes/portraits admittedly, but it's a pity if you want to use telephoto lenses. There are rumours however that they're going to put IS in the body on the next camera. If true then4/3 becomes a very attractive system, with superb quality bodies and lenses and the whole thing designed from the ground up for digital. The noise problem will be a non-issue in years to come. Maybe Canon have a slight lead at the moment, but not for long.

No, actually you're not restricted by lens choices with the Canon at all. In fact, there are over 50 Canon EF and EF-S lenses that are fully compatible with the Canons, far far more than the Olympus system. Not to mention that there are Canon-compatible versions of all popular Sigma lenses etc... I'm not knocking the Olympus system, it is awesome in its own right, but if you talk about restictive lens selection, it is Olympus that comes up way short.
ChrisDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2005, 1:49 PM   #7

You're right, but it is worth noting that the EF-S lenses are restricted to Canon's newer bodies, 20D and Rebel XT. However, the bulk of the line has been compatible for at least 15 years. I'm using the 50mm F1.8 that came with my EOS 630 (in '89) on my 20D today.

Not bad!
tkrotchko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2005, 3:34 PM   #8

Hi, I have been trying out a E300 for a few weeks now and have been converted. I used to have a 10D which was stolen. I did like the 10D, it is a fantastic camera and I am sure the 20 is just as good if not better. I used the 10D for many jobs, but could not get on with the rather flat lifeless images that digi produces, which is why I retained an E)S3 for use with slide film. I have now discovered that things have changed.....Now i have used the E300 with its (rather odd) side mounted viewfinder and side swing mirror. It is almost like using a rangefinder camera. Small, rugged, and great battery life. The lenses are also very good quality, considering the price (compared to the things we used to use). Although I will be selling my canon lenses to get some of the better oly's. I am a bit bemused by the discussion above to do with lens choice. The range that oly do covers just about anything you could possibly want to do. This is rather by the by. The main reason I would recommend the oly is the metering and picture quality. While this quality is not instantly accessable, once you get the hang of the system it starts to sparkle. Using the oly is like shooting slide, with the right exposure it produces amazing results. And the fact that you have to think about it a bit means you are guided into taking pictures and not snaps. Which is why we buy these types of camera and not a point and shoot or mobile phone. The canons and nikons are very fine tools (I have used canon since the F1n) but oly have broken away from the conventional thinking in producing a range that is designed for the new age. Long live digital, RIP film.
alienzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2005, 12:43 PM   #9

If you have an EOS-3 for slides - keep it! I have one & an Elan 7 & would let the 7 go in a heartbeat(NO problems here at all) but I would sell my 300D before I would sell my EOS-3! Even though it has features I would Never use, it is fast, focuses very fast, has a great bright viewfinder. The only drawback is no Dioptic corrector comes on them so I will buy one someday.

Good luck with your Olympus!
Railfire is offline   Reply With Quote