Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Jun 15, 2005, 1:16 PM   #11

I worked at Sears for 6 months, where I mostly focused on selling camera's. Not that they have a huge selection or anything. There are two types of warranties. Protection and Replacement. They used to offer replacement on digi-cams, but now they offer Protection. The protection agreement IS worth it.

Here's why...Sears service centers can not repair digi-cams yet, so they have to replace them. This happened multiple times to me. A customer would bring in their broken digi-cam and they would walk out with a brand new one;either the same model, or the closest version to that model.

Another reason to purchase theprotection agreement, is that you can cancel it within a year regardless if you used it or not. They will give you100% of what you paid for a PA back as long as it's within a year. I bought a newDigital Rebel kitback in September for $525 and paid the additional $112.48 for the 2 year PA. I sold my Digital Rebel Kitin February to upgrade to the XT (ended up getting $650 for the kit), so I cancelled my PAand got my money back for it.

Sears warranties aren't BS. The Replacement Agreement is actually too good to be true! They are actually very good plans. I don't work at Sears anymore, but I do shop there because of their plans. I have plans from Circuit City, Sears,Comp USAand Best Buy. I've only had to use the service plans once and that was simply to get a new remote for my receiver which I purchased at Best Buy. I look at service plans no differently than car insurance.

All I'm saying, is personally, I'm for extended warranties andservice plans and all that, but at the same time, I understand why people don't always purchase them. I don't like dishing out the additional cash, but have yet to regret doing so.

Good luck with everything!

SlapNTickleJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2005, 4:44 PM   #12

I have both cameras.

The images from the rock solid 20D shot at the highest res are just plain better than the same from the Rebel. Take the 20D - add the optional battery pack and a 10 - 22mm zoom and you are ready for some real photo adventures.

Bob Dalles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2005, 12:47 AM   #13

SlapNTickleJr wrote:
Quote:
I worked at Sears for 6 months, where I mostly focused on selling camera's. Not that they have a huge selection or anything. There are two types of warranties. Protection and Replacement. They used to offer replacement on digi-cams, but now they offer Protection. The protection agreement IS worth it.
Quick question on the price match at Sears. I am thinking that I may get my camera from them or from buydig.com. I was thinking that since some of the one line prices that are way to cheap to be real, and if you check resellers ratings you realize they are not real, but Sear's says they will price match any on line price as part of ther price match plus plan. Would they match the $494 that digitalliquidators offers? I also am in New York so many of the bad Crooklyn camera shops could be considered "local ads" That is about half of the Sears price, would they go for it? Not to hyjack the thread, but the OP stated they were looking at Sears.
miatapaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2005, 10:38 AM   #14

Thanks again all for the help, still no purchase, trying to find a good deal. To answer the last question, I tryed doing the price match with Sears online, and unless there is a physical store near your home the price match is not valid, they also have a few other restrictions.

I tend to agree with SlapNTickleJr about Sears, I've bought most of my electronics and other items from them and have been able to return items even without service protection, no hassle returns, gave me a new lawnmower on the spot one time. But the problem is that I will not be able to get the price below $950.00. Seems high when it's selling on buydig.com and other sites in the $800.00 range. So I'm waiting to see if there will be any specials this weekend anywhere. Otherwise I may just pay the $950.00 with price match.

Anyone ever buy from ebay? I saw an Silver Rebel XT with a buy now of $750.00 yesterday, and one today with a buy now of $799.00.
jpdigi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2005, 10:53 AM   #15

jpdigi
Quote:
Anyone ever buy from ebay? I saw an Silver Rebel XT with a buy now of $750.00 yesterday, and one today with a buy now of $799.00.
There's nothing wrong with buying from ebay, but keep in mind when you buy it, its caveat emptor; that is to say that once you have it, its yours. Trouble and all. So if it has a problem when you get it or shortly afterwards, you might be stuck with it.

To me, if I'm buying from ebay it has to be WAAAAAAAY cheaper than from other place. So I can get a Rebet XT *anywhere* for $900 (that's the going price) and if I shopped harder than I could find one for $800 from an actual dealer.. Why would I try to save a few bucks and and take that risk?

Just a thought.
tkrotchko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2005, 11:32 AM   #16

gibsonpd3620 wrote:
Quote:
I have not used the Extreme III but the Ultra II are very fast.
350D performance http://65.110.81.28/bins/multi_page.asp?cid=6007-7699

20D performance http://65.110.81.28/bins/multi_page.asp?cid=6007-7303

1D2 performance http://65.110.81.28/bins/multi_page.asp?cid=6007-6896

1Ds2 performance http://65.110.81.28/bins/multi_page.asp?cid=6007-7344

all except 1 card i have are U2s the one cad is a E3 and on my 1Dseries cameras there is little difference. currently not enough to spend 20% more for the E3.
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2005, 1:45 AM   #17

True...price match plus has to be a store within about a hour or so drive for Sears to do the price match. That's the only way they do it.

As for getting the best prices...when I got my Digital Rebel, I didn't get that price ($525) from just working there. They only give employees 10% off. There are ways to knock off money...there always are.
Old Jun 17, 2005, 1:46 AM   #18

True...price match plus has to be a store within about a hour or so drive for Sears to do the price match. That's the only way they do it.

As for getting the best prices...when I got my Digital Rebel, I didn't get that price ($525) from just working there. They only give employees 10% off. There are ways to knock off money...there always are.
Old Jun 17, 2005, 1:54 PM   #19

Looks like I may be ordering from Amazon, body only. Right now I'm looking at the Tamron Autofocus 28-75mm f2.8 and the Canon EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6IS lens for everyday, I've been reading arguments for both, sounds like the Tamron may win for me though. I am also looking at getting the Canon EF 50mm f1.8 II as a cheap low light and indoor lense.

Any thoughts?

Thanks
jpdigi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2005, 3:09 PM   #20

I have used a friends Tamron 28-70 and had very good results. The Canon 50 F1.8 may feel like a cheap lens but mine performs very well.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote