Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Jun 17, 2005, 2:53 PM   #21

I have the Tamron 28-75. Great lens, but you'll find yourself wishing for more reach on the wider side. I use the Tamron but not as much as I imagined. The 18-55 kit was most used and now I find that my 17-40L stays on the camera about 90% of the time.
Ctrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2005, 3:53 PM   #22

Yes, my only worry is that the Tamron will not be wide enough. Although with my current film rebel, I am mostly shooting between 35 and 80mm, mainly my kids and famiy. The 17-40mm may be a nice alternative lense to have as well. Which then takes me back to the 17-85mm IS?

Man, this starts to get confusing and expensive!
jpdigi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2005, 4:11 PM   #23

The 17-85 has received some great reviews at www.dpreview.com forums. Look in the Canon lens forum and then do a search for the 17-85. IS is a nice feature to have in low light or if you have unsteady hands. IS will not compensate for movement of the subjects.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2005, 4:11 PM   #24

The 17-85 has received some great reviews at www.dpreview.com forums. Look in the Canon lens forum and then do a search for the 17-85. IS is a nice feature to have in low light or if you have unsteady hands. IS will not compensate for movement of the subjects.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2005, 6:07 PM   #25

I want to thank everyone again for the input. This weekend I bought the Canon Rebel XT with the kit lense, other lenses will come soon. I am very impressed by it's performance! It's great shooting digital, I shot over a hundred photos of my kids outside yesterday evening, got to pick and choose, ended up with a few great keepers. Spent a couple of hours today touching up in photoshop, and can't wait to start printing.

Where do you all go to print your work out? I print dye subs here at work, but they are too expensive for my personal work. What's out there that is good quality and will last for years?

Thanks,

Jacob
jpdigi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2005, 6:39 PM   #26

Take a look at winkflash.com. They print fuji crystal Archive and are extremely inexpensive (16 cents per 4x6 and my last order last week was 12 cents per - don't know if that was a one time special or if they dropped their price). They also have 99 cent shipping. You absolutely cannot beat the quality / price. Turnaround is usually around 5-6 days.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2005, 9:29 PM   #27

I recommend an HP inkjet printer with HP Premium Plus photo paper.

The results are amazing!

I believe the HP Premium Plus has a lifespan of over 100 years.

The trick is to frame the photo under glass and keep it out of direct sunlight.
terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2005, 12:31 AM   #28

jpdigi wrote:
Quote:
I want to thank everyone again for the input. This weekend I bought the Canon Rebel XT with the kit lense, other lenses will come soon. I am very impressed by it's performance! It's great shooting digital, I shot over a hundred photos of my kids outside yesterday evening, got to pick and choose, ended up with a few great keepers. Spent a couple of hours today touching up in photoshop, and can't wait to start printing.

Where do you all go to print your work out? I print dye subs here at work, but they are too expensive for my personal work. What's out there that is good quality and will last for years?

Thanks,

Jacob
I use a Canon Selphy CP600 dye sub and I feel that the 4x6 prints are incredible (excellent color and detail). Very easy to use and maintain, and out of hundreds of prints I've only had 4 or 5 that I had to toss because of some dirt getting on the media. You have a couple of choices of print kits ... the 36 print kits where the price per print is outrageous ($0.53/print)and the 108 print kits where the price per print is reasonable ($0.32/print).

The Canon dye sub prints are reported to be archival for 100 years, and you can run them under a water tap for hours and it won't hurt them. I've used a pro lab, and the prints from this little dye sub are pretty comparible. The only thing better about the pro-lab route is sometimes I like my proofs to have a matte finish. I also use a pro lab for anything larger than 4x6.
BobA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2005, 4:11 PM   #29

I use an Epson R800 for my home printing and get excellent results from it using their Premium Glossy, Enhanced Matte, Matte Paper Heavyweight, Luster, and Color Life paper. I also print on CD's and DVD's as well which add's a nice touch to the media to liven it up a bit.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"If you're looking for a great, versatile printer, I would recommend the newer R1800. You will get great print's up to 13" wide. If it were out a year ago, I would have purchased it instead of my R800. If you're looking for a cheaper route and don't plan on printing out larger than A4, a great option would be to go with something like the R200 and then use Winkflash for other prints.

I hate to reveal my secret print service, but JohnG did it for me. I know they're not a sceret, but I never mention them to anyone, well mainly because not many people know of them and I like it that way. Anyway, Winkflash is awesome. Like JohG said, their 4x6's are $.12, they dropped the price a little while ago. They recently added a bunch of large print sizes (about 2 weeks ago) which makes me even happier, because they were only offering prints up to 10x13. Here are the sizes and prices.

4x6- $.12 10x15- $3.79 (NEW)

3x5- $.1216x20- $7.95 (NEW)

4x5.3- $.1216x24- $9.95 (NEW)

5x6.5- $.29 (NEW) 18x24- $11.95 (NEW)

5x7- $.29 24x36- $19.95 (NEW)

6x8- $.79 34x44- $34.95 (NEW)

8x10- $1.99 44x66- $69.95 (NEW)

8x10.6- $1.99 (NEW) Wallet (4)- $.39

10x13- $3.3911x17 (POSTER)- $1.99 (Non-Photographic Process)

Shipping is $.99 flat rate on prints up through the 10x15, then $2.99 flat rate for 16x20 and up and if you buy prints from both, it's $3.98 (the $.99 and $2.99 combined). The 11x17 posters are really nice, like I said, they're not a photographic process. They're done on 100lb. card stock with a UV gloss coating over the top. The shipping for those is $1.99 flat rate.I ordered 34 for my brothers soccer team and the shipping was still $1.99. My only real beef with Winkflash is I wish they had 11x14 prints sizes and that the shipping was a little faster (I'm in Ann Arbor, MI and they're in RI and it takes no less than 4 days to receive my orders). Also, Winkflash has the CD mailer option if you don't have a fast enough connection to upload. I know a lot of other online print services started to that. All in all, they rock in my opinion, but don't take my word for it, find out for yourself. I can't find better prices and the quality is a 9 or and 9.5 out of 10.

Good luck!
SlapNTickleJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2005, 4:12 PM   #30

Oops, almost forgot...matte or glossy, white border, or borderless.
SlapNTickleJr is offline   Reply With Quote