Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Jun 13, 2005, 4:44 PM   #1

I've posted on this site several times and have ready many posted, I finally have narrowed it down and will make my purchase this week. I am leaning towards the Rebel, and arguments out there for the 20D?

Also, most likely will purchase from Sears. What are your opinions on the Extended warranty? Do you all get this? Or is manufacturer sufficient?

Thanks for all of your help!

Jacob
jpdigi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 13, 2005, 5:39 PM   #2

Extended warranty's are usually not worth it. If you think you'll use it (will you abuse your camera?) then it might be. But they are a high profit item for the stores for a reason... not many people actually use them (because they forget, make a mistake in claiming, whatever...)

What will you shoot? That is the big reason to choose one over the other. If it requires the faster AF, easy exposure comp... then get the 20D. Its a good camera.

The reason to get the DRebel (in my mind) is that its cheaper so you can spend that money getting a better lens. A good lens will last you a life time, a camera body will last you 3-5 years (unless you're really happy with it.) digital cameras are in the state where the next camera is usually noticably better and 2 cameras from now are usualy much better.

Lens design is a science now... not a lot changes. If you get a good lens, it will almost certainly work with that future camera body.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2005, 8:54 PM   #3

Lenses are an investment. Digital camera bodies are an expense. I have a 20D and an RXT. The RXT is the better value by far. The advantages of the 20D just don't warrant the difference in price, unless you are a pro.Save the $500 or put it into a good lens instead. OK spend $150 of the savings and get the battery grip for the RXT.

Extended warranties are a house game. Put that money into a savings account for camera repairs.
wburychka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2005, 10:24 PM   #4

jpdigi wrote:
Quote:
Also, most likely will purchase from Sears. What are your opinions on the Extended warranty? Do you all get this?
One reason i bought my Rebel XT from Sears was the extended service... I had a Sony F505 that started losing pictures. They gave me a 707 to replace it. I wore out the manual focus ring using the huge Sony 2X lens and they gave me a F717. No fuss no muss. Check to see if it is replaced at the store or sent out for repair.

BTW... If you wait until a "Super Saturday" they have 10% of most stuff... Including the Rebel XT. If they don't stock it at the local store have the sales associate order it during the sale hours and you will get the 10% off. $100!If you have coupons you can still use them. If you're aSearsassociate you get another 10%. Mine came in silver and i love the finish. Here is the stock # because they won't know it.

Sears item #00353432000 Mfr. model #REBEL XT/0206B003

Good luck
dale

thatsanicepicture2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2005, 10:43 AM   #5

Thank you all for your input. I have decided on the Rebel XT, can't wait to finally get it, developing my last set of film from my old rebel today.

Aso, what are your recommended accessories, stuff you don't want to be stuck without on a vacation? What memory card card do you recommend? I take alot of pictures, Hawaii is coming up and I would like to have a good solid card to store lots of photos.

Thanks again,

Jacob
Old Jun 14, 2005, 11:09 AM   #6

jpdigi wrote:
Quote:
Thank you all for your input. I have decided on the Rebel XT, can't wait to finally get it, developing my last set of film from my old rebel today.

Aso, what are your recommended accessories, stuff you don't want to be stuck without on a vacation? What memory card card do you recommend? I take alot of pictures, Hawaii is coming up and I would like to have a good solid card to store lots of photos.

Thanks again,

Jacob
I'd recommend a couple of fast CF cards... I don't know where you are located, but if you are in the USA, Costco has Sandisk 1GB Ultra II CF cards for $75. You can buy up to 5 at that price. You can get cheaper cards, but they won't be as fast.
I'd also recommend the battery grip and at least one spare battery. You'll get hundreds and hundreds of photos without having to recharge. The grip will also help balance any long, heavy lenses you might use. I also put the E-1 hand strap on mine.
Perhaps a monopod for hiking around Hawaii as well... I don't have one yet, but I looked at the Bogen 682 and it seems very nice. It has legs that can be attached to make it into a tripod. I will likely get one soon.

mactek
mactek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2005, 3:12 PM   #7

I would not travel without a device to copy and backup my images. I have an older standalone CD burner with a CF slot. When I went to New Zealand last year, I dumped my cards to CD every night--twice. And when possible, I checked the CDs out using the motel office computer. Came back with 28 CDs. Apacer is the brand of CD burner I used. RoadStor is another. There were none using DVDs at the time I bought mine, but you can probably find a DVD storage unit now.

You could also take a laptop if you have it, but I'd burn to CD or DVD in addition. Laptop hard drivesare notoriously failure prone. That's also the reason I don't use a hard drive based image storage unit, but rather I stick with CD/DVD.

If you get a battery grip, be sure you use two identical batteries--either two Canon or two identical aftermarket. Different power ratings can cause the two different batteries to run down faster, since they are used in parallel. I bought two from sterlingtek.com for $20 each (the Canon batteries are $60) and carry my original Canon battery as a spare. The sterlingtek batts seem to do nearly as well as--but NOT better than--the Canon, even though their labels claim an outrageous 1500mAh compared with 720mAh for the Canon. The AA battery option in the grip is a joke. Only for an absolute emergency when you have to run into Walmart for a 1GB card and six AA Alkalines to get those last ten pictures.
wburychka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2005, 5:10 PM   #8

Very helpful info!

MacTek: I will be heading to Costco, as it is right down the street from me, but is there a huge difference in performance between the Sandisk 1GB Ultra II and the Sandisk extreme III's?

I was thinking about what to use as storage on vacation and comment on the CD burner seems like the perfect solution. Anyone have a preference for the one of two brands review on this site (the Apacer and the Addonics) , or any others for that matter?

Thanks
Old Jun 14, 2005, 5:23 PM   #9

I have not used the Extreme III but the Ultra II are very fast.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2005, 8:05 PM   #10

jpdigi wrote:
Quote:
Very helpful info!

MacTek: I will be heading to Costco, as it is right down the street from me, but is there a huge difference in performance between the Sandisk 1GB Ultra II and the Sandisk extreme III's?
See this page for scores on the various cards with the Rebel XT. Note this line in particular:

"As a result, write speed differences of 5% or less from card to card in the table below should be considered insignificant. If one card's write speed is within 5% of another's, the two cards are likely to offer effectively the same performance in the real world. Similarly, it's unlikely that most photographers would notice a difference between the fastest card and one that was up to 10% slower."

I have (1) Lexar 2GB 80x and (2) Sandisk 1GB Ultra IIs. They are all great.
I would suggest you just buy however many 1GB Ultra IIs you think you'll need (at least 2) from Costco. If you're out in a remote area, you'll kick yourself if you run out of storage... I used my entire 2GB Lexar on a recent plane flight around Mount St Helens...the backup devices sound like a good idea too.

mactek
mactek is offline   Reply With Quote