Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Jun 18, 2005, 2:51 AM   #1
DMW

Hey all,

I have just purchased aCanon 75-300 III USM lens for my 350D and after only 150 shots I am very happy with it. (The expression "Kid in a sweet shop" would best describe it)

Last night I was trying to capture some candid shots of the kids playing in the back garden. One of the shots I was trying to get was a close up (head and shoulders) while the kids ran around. (or did anything fast moving).

The sun was still very bright but had gone down to the point that the garden was in the shade so I set the WB to shade. I triedISO's 100, 200 and 400. I set the camera to "P" and tried a range of apperature sizes letting the camera choose the shutter speed. I snapped awaytrying all 3 focus modes.

I found the results amazing except for the close ups on moving objects, slight blur on the subject everytime.

I will add that due to the fact that I was shooting at distances ranging from 5 to 25 feet away, at kids running around the garden I didn't find it possible to use the tripod.

Any advise? :-)

DMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 18, 2005, 6:24 AM   #2
NHL

You can not let the camera pick the shutter speed for actions!

Set it to Tv and pick the fastest shutter that the camera allow you for that ISO... at the expense of less DOF as the aperture requires it to be larger.

For the head shot you have probably zoomed in to the max which is 300mm, the rule of thumbcalls for the shutter speed to be 1/focal lenght which is 1/300s in your case. If the camera picked 1/200s for most shots at wider angle this would be fine, but when you zoomed it the shutter speed is now too 'slow' for handheld (or fast actions) @ 300mm :shock:

NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2005, 11:34 AM   #3
DMW

OMG !!

That did the trick, I can't believe what a difference that made.

Thank you very much.

Here is a shot of my son trying to "header" the ball.

No, it was not stuck to his face. :lol:

Thanks again NHL, I don't know how I am going to remember all these different settings.:?
Old Jun 18, 2005, 6:43 PM   #4

NHL wrote:
Quote:
the rule of thumbcalls for the shutter speed to be 1/focal lenght which is 1/300s in your case. If the camera picked 1/200s for most shots at wider angle this would be fine, but when you zoomed it the shutter speed is now too 'slow' for handheld (or fast actions) @ 300mm :shock:

Hi NHL,

I think your advice to crank up the shutterspeed was spot on. However, I just wanted to clarify something about the rule of thumb you mentioned.

The rule of thumbis to avoid the impact of camera shake, soit doesn't really apply here since even for the head and shoulders shot DMW said the kids were running around. When you're taking snaps of kids running all over the place you really are looking at setting the shutterspeed to stop action. In this case 1/300s might be a bit slow, 1/500s might be a bit better. How fast depends on if they are running side to side in the field of view, whether or not the photographer is panning, etc.

BobA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2005, 9:26 PM   #5
NHL

BobAisquite correct,also I'd like to add that sometime 'blur' is quite desirable

Such as the case of panning where one want toconvey thespeed effect: Since the camera is now following the fast moving subject - The shutter speed in this case can be slower as well since the movement of the camerato subject is relatively constant:
http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...c.php?id=30682
http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...c.php?id=32296

Too fast of a shutter speedin thiscasewill make theses images lookas ifthe drivers were parking in a lot insteadof racing!
Old Jun 20, 2005, 7:06 AM   #6

Yeah, some blur is desired....took this shot at an airshow yesterday, great shot...but, it looks more like a model suspended in air because everything is perfectly frozen.

Attached Images

G35Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2005, 7:16 AM   #7

You'd be pretty safe to use shutter priority (TV mode) and pick 1/500th.

terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2005, 7:16 AM   #8

Keep in mind you can't use flashfaster than 1/250th with a Canon.

Sometimes its cool to use some fill flash, and pick 1/250th.

terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2005, 7:21 AM   #9
DMW

Thanks for your comments guys.

TV mode enabled me to get the shot I was looking for with the kids in the garden.

Once I get the hang of following a moving subject I will try lowering the shutter speed in order to blur the background.

Old Jun 20, 2005, 7:48 AM   #10
NHL

G35Guy wrote:
Quote:
Yeah, some blur is desired....took this shot at an airshow yesterday, great shot...but, it looks more like a model suspended in air because everything is perfectly frozen.
Yeap, life's tough... In those cases try a to lower the aperture to blur the background: [email protected]idea of using flash to freeze the subject should also work if youmanage tocontrol the ambient light...all else fail use Photoshop!!! :-)