Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Jun 18, 2005, 3:19 PM   #1

Hi all. I have an EOS Elan IIe with an EF 75-300 1:4-5.6 II lens, and a, EF 28-80 1:3.5-5.6 IV lens. I'm going digital and am leaning toward the EOS 20D (sturdier), but the Rebel XT is still being considered. Will I have a problem with these lenses on either camera? The lenses are about 7-8 years old.

I also read that the shutter on the 20D is designed for twice as many cycles as the XT (100K to 50K). Does that matter too much?

Thanks.
hoppity is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 18, 2005, 4:55 PM   #2

The number of shutter actuations will probably not matter that much.
I take a fair number of pictures in a year, and I still don't break about 8K or so. And that is getting lower as I take fewer shots with the same number of keepers (i.e. I'm getting better.)

I can think of no reason why those lenses would not work on either of those DSLRs.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2005, 6:58 PM   #3

hoppity wrote:
Quote:
Hi all. I have an EOS Elan IIe with an EF 75-300 1:4-5.6 II lens, and a, EF 28-80 1:3.5-5.6 IV lens. I'm going digital and am leaning toward the EOS 20D (sturdier), but the Rebel XT is still being considered. Will I have a problem with these lenses on either camera? The lenses are about 7-8 years old.

I also read that the shutter on the 20D is designed for twice as many cycles as the XT (100K to 50K). Does that matter too much?

Thanks.
Both of these should work. Just remember that there is a 1.6 crop factor for the Rebel XT or 20D, which is like a 1.6 times magnification. Also, you may want to consider selling (give away?) your 28-80 and replace it with a better lens such as:

Canon EF-S 17-85mm f4-5.6 IS USM ($600)
Tamron 28-75 f2.8 ($390)
Sigma 24-70 f2.8 ($439)
Canon 24-70 f2.8L ($1150)

The 28-80 is a pretty inexpensive (read cheap) consumer zoom whichis optically about the worst Canon has to offer. Since the lens is much more important than the camera body, it would be a shame to be using your new 20D with a fuzzy $100lens. Personally if money is a concern, buy the XT with a good lens rather thanuse the 20D with the 28-80.

Even the Canon 28-105 f3.5-4.5 II USM ($230) is a much better lens than the 28-80, and frankly I'd even stay away from that one. I own a 28-105 and it is only acceptably sharp between f8 and f11.

The Canon 75-300 (non IS version) is cheap lens that you may outgrow quickly.If money is a concernI would ratherpick up a Rebel 300D or a used 10D and use the money saved to replace the 75-300 with something like a Canon 70-200 f4L, which at $580 is one of the best lenses for the $ that Canon offers.

Shutter actuations:

Think of the camera body like a PC. Once a much better technology comes out you'll probably want to replace it. On the other hand, the lenses you choose will likely be ok for EOS camera systems way into the future. Unless you are taking over 10,000 images a year I wouldn't worry about the shutter life. And if if you did, you can send it into the shop and have it replaced. I've had my 20D for 6 months and have taken approx 3000 images. At this rate my shutter should last over 8 years.

By the way, if you're worried about shutter life expectancy take a look at this movie (yes movie) made with a Canon 20D needs Quicktime).

http://patrykrebisz.com/stills/FINAL_movie.html
BobA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2005, 8:19 PM   #4

Thanks, Bob. I knew my lenses weren't top of the line. It's looking more like the XT will be my choice, with a good lens.

Glenn
hoppity is offline   Reply With Quote