Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Jun 19, 2005, 10:10 AM   #1

I have just begun exploring my new 20D / 17-85 IS, and I am looking for suggestions insetting the 3 user-settable Parameter sets. I take a wide variety of shots. Mostly, I prefer to do in-camera processing, but I do have rudimentary experience with PS7 & PSE3 for editing special shots (e.g. portraits or landscapes I wish to enlarge). Thanks!
gordonj is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 19, 2005, 10:58 AM   #2

I normally just crank the sharpness and contrast up one notch, and leave the other two alone (saturation and tone). just what i do though.

-michael-
www.pbase.com/mikej86
johnsonM86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2005, 7:59 AM   #3

gordonjParameters are so personal and thus I would advice experimenting until you are happy. Personally I put all mine to the top, but as I said thats what i like.Also just a¬*comment¬*really, consider using RAW on a¬*permanent basis, OK it takes longer to process but thats half the fun and the¬*benefits far outweigh the negatives.
grant.smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2005, 10:26 AM   #4

hey speakin of that, i've had problems getting raw files from my camera to my computer, and it's been really frustrating. but is there really that much of a difference between the raw file and a sharp large jpeg?

-michael-
www.pbase.com/mikej86
Old Jun 20, 2005, 10:36 AM   #5

Well, its not the fact of whether can get a sharp image or not, its more to do with the freedom a RAW image will give you.In theory you can really mess up a shot with RAW and still get a decent image, if you just shoot JPEG you have to get it right first time and hope you never want to use that image at a higher quality then you are shooting.Check these linkshttp://www.chesterps.fsnet.co.uk/WshopRaw.htmhttp://www.stevesforums.com/forums/view_topic.php?id=45438&forum_id=2What is the actual problem you are having? It normally comes down to having the right software.
Old Jun 20, 2005, 11:13 AM   #6

johnsonM86 wrote:
Quote:
hey speakin of that, i've had problems getting raw files from my camera to my computer, and it's been really frustrating. but is there really that much of a difference between the raw file and a sharp large jpeg?

-michael-
http://www.pbase.com/mikej86
RAW file is just a file like jpeg, so why getting the RAW file from camera to computer be any tough? Just put the CF card in your card reader and copy the files. I use Capture One LE for my RAW processing, but you can use BB or PSCS.
bobbyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2005, 3:05 PM   #7

Microsoft now have a free download for RAW files for Windows XP. Go to microsoft.com/downloads and search on RAW!

Carl.
CarlsPhotos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2005, 3:10 PM   #8

If your using a Mac (which you should be!) iPhoto 5.0.2 support the 20D, as well as Image Capture. Otherwise the software shipped with the 20D.In my opinion all these should be used in¬*conjunction with Photoshop or Photo Elements.You also might want to consider converting your CR2 files to DNG files for archive purposes.
Old Jun 20, 2005, 6:20 PM   #9

i transfer files directly from the camera to the computer using the supplied usb connector. i use microsoft picture thing or something to put them in a folder, and it doesn't recognize the RAW files, they don't even show up. and when i use canon's software, i can just view them as thumbnails but i can't edit/save/change/resize them in any way. it's really annoying...

-michael-
www.pbase.com/mikej86
Old Jun 21, 2005, 3:51 AM   #10

I don't use it, so this is just a guess, but the Canon software would be just to preview and then surely you have to choose a destination to save them to? You would then use Photoshop / Photo Elements to process the CR2 files.