Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Jun 21, 2005, 10:45 AM   #1

I have a EOS 300D and I'm looking for a temp card for this weekend (budget concerns).¬* I wanted to get any input as to whether a 4gb Hitachi Microdrive from an Ipod would work?¬* I have been reading and it seems to be compatible, FAT32 etc.¬*I was hoping someone here could add their 2 cents.I also see a 5gb Segate Microdrive CFII, any opinions on this one?I understand that a card like the Scandisk would be the best and I plan on getting one within the next month.¬* I simply need one¬* for this weekend and have a limited budget.Thanks for the input!
DieselNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 21, 2005, 12:34 PM   #2

4 GB Microdrives, CF cards, etc will all work on the Digital Rebel/300D as it is FAT32 compliant. Just be sureto format the card in-camera and verify it reads correctly and gives you a capacity of shots on the LCD. Depending on the ISO I use I can get around 300 or so RAW images on my 2GB Microdrive, so a 4 GB microdriveshould get you around 600 RAW shots. If you shoot JPEG's the number will be quite a bit higher.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2005, 12:59 PM   #3

Thanks Greg, I have just finished reading that people are having problems with the drives that are from the ipods.¬* ¬*Any experience with this certain type?
DieselNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2005, 3:33 PM   #4

I bought one an dinstalled on my 20D in raw+jpeg highest setting i get 242 shots in high jpeg it get over the number count 999 so i dont know
1texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2005, 3:58 PM   #5

I'm not familiar with the microdrives taken from IPods, but that's why I mentioned formatting in the camera and making sure it works right. When it comes to memory taken from another device you never know what the retailer,Apple in this case, may or may not have done.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2005, 4:06 PM   #6

I did a lot of research on microdrives when I was contemplating whether to get that or a CF card for my 20D. This is what I've found:

1) Hitachi microdrives from iPods will NOT work with your camera.

2) Hitachi microdrives from the old Creative Muvo 2 MP3 player will work with your camera. The new ones will NOT work.

3) In general, retail Hitachi microdrives will work...older OEM will work...newer OEM will NOT work.

AlpineMan is offline   Reply With Quote