Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Jun 22, 2005, 5:26 AM   #1

Sorry if this has been asked hundreds of times before, but I'm looking for a cheaper(below $700) tele lens for the Rebel XT. The only brand options I have are Sigma and Canon(Only lenses services in SA that will fit the Canon mount). This will mainly be for nature photography. So far I'm eyeing out the following:

- Canon 75-300 IS(read some bad reviews about it)
- Sigma 135-400 APO
- Sigma 175-500 APO

Do you have any other lens suggestions or any comments about the above 3?
JohnReid is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 23, 2005, 10:08 AM   #2

John- "nature" can mean a lot of things, from flowers to birds and animals.
Going by your choices listed - it looks like you are a birder/animal shooter.

It's a tough call - faster lenses (low light) = more money
longer range zooms = more money
You can guess the next one.

If you settle for a second rate piece of glass - you will have buyers remorse starting the very next day.

Many of us 'combination' shooters use the Canon 70-200 in one of it's configurations. You can improve range by buying an extender later.
Setiprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2005, 12:41 PM   #3

you might also look at the Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8. A really nice lens and you should be able to get it for around your $700 budget. Then later pick up the teleconverter for more range.
Caboose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2005, 1:35 PM   #4

I bought a Tokina AT-X 80-400mm f4.5-5.6 lens for my 20D and am happy with it.* It's not as sharp as lens costing more $$ but does what I want for now.* I paid $550 at my local hi-end camera store.* Other choice was a Canon at over twice the price.* I'll stick on an example taken with it, full frame at 400mm.* It's also a nice example of servo focus which I'm really impressed with.Bob Gaunt
Attached Images

Robert Gaunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2005, 11:23 AM   #5

I've taken hundreds of wildlife and landscape shots with my Sigma 170-500 lens with great results. It's big and heavy, and not particularly fast, but clarity and colour are terrific. I bought mine a couple of years ago for about $750US. You might be able to find a used one at well under that. One caveat: the lens has no "brake" to prevent it from going to its full extension if you're walking with it around your neck or over your shoulder. A monopod or tripod s a must to stabilize the image. Here's a sample.
Attached Images

jazzboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2005, 1:13 AM   #6

Thanks for all the advice. I settled on the Sigma 170-500. One of the reason I ordered the lens was due to the special running here which sold it for about $600.
style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"
style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Thanks jazzboy for easing the anxiety of my purchase.
JohnReid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2005, 12:52 AM   #7

Welcome!
jazzboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2005, 3:17 AM   #8
Super Moderator

enjoy.. with a tripod or monopod this lens will suit you quite well.. it is quite sharp and contrasty as evident by the MTFs provided on sigma's website...
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote