Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Jun 22, 2005, 4:13 PM   #1
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

How do you decide whether to by just the body or get the kit also for the Canon Rebel XT?

I am considering buying just the body and either the Canon EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Standard Zoom Lens for Canon SLR Cameras or the Canon EF 28-105mm f/3.5-4.5 II USM Standard Zoom Lens for Canon SLR Cameras; any thoughts/suggestions?
  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 22, 2005, 4:42 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
BoYFrMSpC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 339
Default

I've heard good things about the 28-135 IS.

I've also heard good things about the 28-105, but I hear it's good as in "good optics for what you pay for" sort of thing. So if you're willing to spend the money, I'd just go for the 28-135.
BoYFrMSpC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2005, 7:34 PM   #3
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

So any real need for the IS?



BoYFrMSpC wrote:
Quote:
I've heard good things about the 28-135 IS.

I've also heard good things about the 28-105, but I hear it's good as in "good optics for what you pay for" sort of thing. So if you're willing to spend the money, I'd just go for the 28-135.
  Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2005, 7:46 PM   #4
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Anyone have the Canon Zoom Wide Angle-Telephoto EF 28-200mm f/3.5-5.6 USM Autofocus Lens on their Rebel XT?
  Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2005, 11:22 PM   #5
Moderator
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 8,529
Default

I have the 28-135 and it's a great walk-around lens. The IS is a bonus. The only question is whether the 28mm (around 44mm equivelent) is wide enough for you - that's something only you can answer. If you are OK withthe wide end on this lens you will be very happy with it. I can't speak to the other2 lenses you mentioned.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2005, 6:13 AM   #6
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

So you have the 28-135 and not the 28-135 IS?



JohnG wrote:
Quote:
I have the 28-135 and it's a great walk-around lens. The IS is a bonus. The only question is whether the 28mm (around 44mm equivelent) is wide enough for you - that's something only you can answer. If you are OK withthe wide end on this lens you will be very happy with it. I can't speak to the other2 lenses you mentioned.
  Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2005, 7:01 AM   #7
Moderator
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 8,529
Default

My 28-135 is IS - I don't think there is a non-IS version of it.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2005, 3:59 PM   #8
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Actually that lens comes in both the IS and non IS version.





JohnG wrote:
Quote:
My 28-135 is IS - I don't think there is a non-IS version of it.
  Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2005, 4:57 PM   #9
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 73
Default

i have the XT and use canons 75-300MM IS and love it! It works well in hand held situations.. but, its not the magic pill, thats for sure!

always try to use a tripod when zooming. its just nicer that way.

-zacker-
zacker is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 8:45 PM.