Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Jun 26, 2005, 11:07 PM   #1

I have used PhotoShop for some time but have just gone digital with a great 20D. When using a borrowed 10D the files I opened in PS showed 180dpi at 3072x2048 pixels. When I resized to 300dpi it quickly resized and made image size 12x8 inches which is ideal for my printing. With the 20D on different image file size settings the imported image is 72 dpi and for large normal is 3504x2336 pixels ie 48x32 inches. It takes quite a while to resize to 300dpi. I would really appreciate advise on working with files from 20D
pwaite is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 26, 2005, 11:57 PM   #2

DPI means nothing until you try to print.

You don't have to "resize" the image so you get 300 DPI. You just have to change the DPI setting.

All that DPI says is how many dots to put on 1 inch of paper (i.e. when you print.) If you have a 1000x1000 image and you set it to 10DPI, you'll get a 100x100 inch picture (huge.) If you reset DPI to 333DPI, you'll get a 3x3 inch picture. Its still 1000 pixels by 1000 pixels. You just changed the setting that tells the printer how many pixels to use to create 1 inch of picture.

What editor do you use? This is very easy to do in photoshop CS (and CS2, I assume) and probably in most other editors as well.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2005, 12:08 AM   #3

ThanksEric I appreciate your comments

Iam using PS CS. Before the 20D I would open either a scanned photo or the 10D file and immediately change the dpi to 300 this would take very little computer time to do. Now with the 20D it takes the PC a significant number of seconds to change it to 300. I guess the initial query is why is the 10D file 180dpi and the 20D 72dpi

Paul
Old Jun 27, 2005, 3:28 AM   #4
Super Moderator

Eric,

In PS CS to change the print resolution you select

Image->Image Size then select the resolution for print output, so although it doesn't matter until you print, pwait described his problem in a perfectly natural way considering the menu layout.

pwait,

Your problem sounds very strange to me - I can't see why it should take so much longer with your 20D files. My laptop isn't particularly powerful, but it "resizes" an image to 360ppi in perhaps 1/5 sec.

Make sure you don't check the "Resample Image" checkbox - it must be clear for changing the print resolution in the way you're trying to do.

There's also an easy way to set the default to 300dpi so you don't have to keep changing it.

Go Edit->Preferences->Units and Rulers

Set your print resolution to 300 pixels/inch

peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2005, 6:32 PM   #5

peripatetic

Fantastic the solution to my problem was to uncheck the Resample Image box

Thanks a lot

Paul