Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Jun 27, 2005, 10:14 AM   #1

I am new to the Digital SLR scene and I am looking at the 20D and the 1D Mark-II.

What is the write speed for both of these camera's. I don't mind spending the money on a fast CF card if the camera can match the speed.
huntsvegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 27, 2005, 1:09 PM   #2

nevermind...did a little more digging and found it here

http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/mul...?cid=6007-7303
Old Jun 27, 2005, 1:48 PM   #3

Yes the 1d's are slightly faster as writing to the extreme III cards.

But that is not the only reason to use the extreme cards, they are better armoured and supposedly stand up to abuse better :-).

Peter.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2005, 6:11 PM   #4

Thanks peter, I'll keep that in mind.:-)
Old Jun 27, 2005, 9:38 PM   #5

The 1D MkII is head of the 20D in almost every way.

In just what you ask, it is better because it has the ability to write to the flash while you take pictures. So even if you fill the buffer and have to wait to free up some memory, it will finish faster because it has already written some to the card. Its subtle (its not something that can be written down and stated as a number like "it writes X bytes-per-second".)

The AF is much faster and more accurate.

It has more AF points, but not only that, they are more configurable. You can set the auto-expand custom function so while you can will use the center 7 AF points while doing motion tracking, but if the subject leaves the center it will expand out to use more AF points.

Read the reviews of both cameras... you'll see how they are aimed at different markets and how much more you get with the 1D MkII.

Eric

eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2005, 7:51 AM   #6

I have both, but don't know how to give you want you want!

If you want my 2cents, if you do sports and want the speed for capturing multiple frames,go for the 1D Mk2. It's unreal !

I bought the 20D for bike racing but it does lack multi shots, especially as I shoot everything in RAW. Got my hands on the 1D and it takes time to learn but when you get it right, boy, do you have a big grin

Carl.
CarlsPhotos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2005, 3:52 PM   #7

I appreciate all the info. I am leaning to the 1D Mark II but I would like to handle one and get a feel for it. It is significantly larger and I want to make sure it wouldn't irritate me. I'm having a horrible time finding ANYONE with a 1D in stock. I live in Huntsville Alabama, if anyone has any suggestions, I willhappily take them.
Old Jul 7, 2005, 2:01 AM   #8

I've found that it is heavy but as I use the battery grip on my 20D, the 1D wasn't much different but I do find that it's nice to hold, if not slighty heavy but you'd expect that.

If you're doing sports photography then go with the 1D and always shoot in RAW. You'll regret it with the 20D. Which is why I use my 20D for pit shots and the 1D for sports.

Then get yourself loads of memory cards :lol:I'm up to 8 1Gb cards for my 1D and a 2Gb card for my 20D. I prefer going for loads of 1Gb ones instead of 1 or larger size ones, just in case I get a failure! Only downside is changing cards during a race.

Carl.
CarlsPhotos is offline   Reply With Quote