Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Jun 29, 2005, 12:45 AM   #1

Hi

I won 350D, I was trying to get some indoor photos (bulb light and fluorecent light), and most of the photos are blurry.

What should I do in order to get good sharp and focused image??

Thanks.
biot is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 29, 2005, 2:12 AM   #2

It depends on what pictures you take.

(since you did not mention it, I'm assuming you're using the 18-55mm kit lens)

If you're taking static (non-moving) objects then all you need to do is bump up the ISO (I would suggest 800 at max, try to avoid 1600) and increase the shutter time. The thing is, you'll probably need to use a tripod to avoid camera shake over long time shutters (usually anything below 1/60).

If you're taking objects in motion or portraits, then you're out of luck. The aperture on this kit lens is too low (even at 18mm) to take that kind of low light photography. Your only real option is to buy a new lens with a greater aperture.

Other than that, you'll have to use a flash indoors almost all the time.

Here are some common canon lenses for low light:

EF 50mm f/1.8 (extremely cheap, ~120 CAN, ~75 US, This is probably the best "bang-for-your-buck" kind of deal)

EF 50mm f/1.4 USM (~ 500 CAN, ~300 US, small improvements over the one from above. It's up to you if you think the improvements are worth it)

EF 85mm f/1.8 USM (~550 CAN, ~320 US . Basically has the quality like the 50mm 1.4 but at a different focal length. A little bit better in design quality.)

And then a super low light lens.

EF 85mm f/1.2L USM (~{TOO MUCH} CAN, ~{TOO MUCH} US)

Unfortunately, even the best zoom lenses do not have an aperture greater than 2.8. Even though that aperture can still be sufficient for low light (at times), you'll probably be happier with a prime lens. Another thing is that zooms with 2.8 aperture costs a lot of money in comparison to the primes listed above (ESP if you're only looking at canon brands).

I'm currently saving up for the 50mm f/1.4 and a lens hood

If you're choosing between the 50 1.4 and 85 1.8, you should really only consider which focal length you're more comfortable with in low light. I would initially have choosen the 85mm because I have the lens kit, so it would of covered a different focal length. However, the 85 on an XT is an equivalent of 135mm. In this case, it's way too long for my low light needs (portrait photography).

But other than that, I would say the optical quality of both lenses are very very similiar. I do not consider the fact that the 50 1.4 is a little bit faster than the 85 1.8 because many people say how soft the lens is wide open.
BoYFrMSpC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2005, 3:37 AM   #3

Hi

I don't use the kit's lens, I bought Sigma lens 28-125
biot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2005, 5:31 AM   #4

the aperture on the 28-135 is 3.8-5.6. It's still too slow for non-static, low light photography, so what I wrote before still applies
BoYFrMSpC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2005, 9:19 AM   #5

biot wrote:
Quote:
Hi

I don't use the kit's lens, I bought Sigma lens 28-125

What flash do you have? If you have one that is powerful enough, try shooting in manual at something like 1/200s and f8 with the flashgun. If you are at 125mm,maybe use 1/250s. Also, try setting your camera to the center focus point only and use that for awhile.

After you get used to the camera you may be able to reduce the shutterspeed.
BobA is offline   Reply With Quote