Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Jun 30, 2005, 1:10 AM   #1

Hi! When looking at the sky out of focus I noticed a half moon shaped object on the sensor and a small round spot below it. I just tried a very large rubber bulb the camera store recommendedto try to blow it off and it didn't work. The rubber bulb puts out a good burst of air. The next step would be a wet clean they sell in the camera stores. I'm a little hesitant about this in case there is a flaw with the sensor. Canon may say I did it when cleaning the sensor.

My question is could this be some kind of flaw in the sensor? If it was a piece of dust I think the air bulb would have worked.

Thanks,

Henry
hkrautter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 1, 2005, 10:09 AM   #2

yes of course it could be, anything is possible.

personally I would take it back to where you brought it, if you are not confident with there advice go to canon.
grant.smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2005, 6:06 PM   #3

Read this first before doing any sensor cleaning:

http://www.pbase.com/copperhill/ccd_cleaning

Barthold
barthold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2005, 4:14 PM   #4

hkrautter wrote:
Quote:
When looking at the sky out of focus I noticed a half moon shaped object on the sensor and a small round spot below it.
If that was this morning just before sunrise, and you were looking east, that half-moon shaped object was the moon, and the small dot was Mercury.

Kidding aside, though, you say "when looking at the sky"... Do you mean when looking through the viewfinder? Or is the defect there on the picture when you look at it on your computer? I'll bet it is not both.

1. If you see it in the viewfinder but not on the picture, then it is probably something on the focusing screen. Clean that with a blower after removing the lens.

2. If it is on the picture, then it may be something on the sensor. Sensor dust usually shows up as soft round dark spots--and they show up best on a blue sky. HOWEVER, you never see sensor dust in the viewfinder.

3. If you see it both in the viewfinder and on the final picture, then call Ripley, because that shouldn't be possible.
wburychka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2005, 2:34 AM   #5

Thanks for the replies. The spots didn't show up in the pictures so cleaning the mirror did the trick. Glad I didn't have to wet clean the sensor. I have a feeling that might void the warranty?

Henry

hkrautter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2005, 12:54 PM   #6

If you are using a DSLR you better get used to the idea of sensor cleaning !!

Lens swaps and just normal use will get dust on the sensor. There are a bunch of methods and tools and procedures - pick one.

Many of us use the 'visible dust' sensor brush and it works just fine. Takes a few minutes, and after a few times you'll lose your nervousness. Just remember to have charged batts and tun off the camera after cleaning.

1) shoot the blue sky at f22 and out of focus (manual) take 2 or 3 shots
2) download the shots and look at them AT 100% magnification. This will give you an idea where the worst specks are.
3) clean your sensor
4) reshoot the sky and check again
5) It will NEVER be perfect, but consider the MILLIONS of pixels involved.

Congratulations, you just became one of the big kids on the block.
Setiprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2005, 6:35 PM   #7

I have been using my 20D for just a few weeks, and have not yet noticed any sensor dust, but I would like to be prepared for when I do.

I have looked at the Visible Dust site, and read several positive testimonials about their product and process. My questions are:

1. doesn't the use of this, or any product with which you touch the sensor assembly, void the camera's warranty?

2. the Visible Dust products are quite spendy, and they "recommend" many supplementary solutions and brushes besides the basic "economy" kit. Which of the items have readers of this forum found to be necessary?

Thanks much.
gordonj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2005, 8:12 AM   #8

Gordonj - Sensor cleaning is part of DSLR ownership (at least for now).

You are not actually touching the sensor. There are several components to the sensor unit. The top (part you clean) level is the IR filter.

The visible dust process uses the theory of positively charging the bristles, which attract the negative dust particles on the sensor surface. One pass across or down, then use the other side of the brush for a second pass. I use only enough pressure on the brush to bend the first third of the bristle length. Blowing clean canned air across the bristles, blows away accumulated dust and re-charges the brush.
The only product I bought was their basic brush. That and a can of air. One or two uses and you have more than recovered the cost and time lost by sending your camera in for cleaning.

I guess you have to make the decision wether to send in your camera every so often and pay for a "maybe" cleaning, or like the rest of us, just DO IT.
Setiprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2005, 1:44 PM   #9

"Sensor swabs" and Eclipse sensor cleaning fluid are widely accepted as the preferred method for "wet" cleaning your sensor. Wet cleaning is by far the most effective for removing dust. Do some reading about it beforehand though. Good luck.
ChrisDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2005, 3:06 PM   #10

I am a bit¬*skeptical when it comes to cleaning the sensor, I was wondering if anyone has had any¬*success with just canned air?Or should I not even be contemplating this?
grant.smith is offline   Reply With Quote