Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Jun 30, 2005, 1:16 AM   #1

I am a commercial phtographer. I need an extreme wide lens for interiors. also I need a portrait lens.¬* What would you recommend for lenses. brand doesn't matter. I like fast lenses if possible.¬* Also , any advice on what to buy or not to buy in the canon world would be appreciated. I have shot with nikon for 10 years so i don't have a clue with canon.¬*Which flashes should i buy which lenses are compatible with flash systemsthanks
tomy2t0ne is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 30, 2005, 1:32 AM   #2
Super Moderator

which body are you looking at? i am going to assumefull frame as in the 1d/1ds series as lenses for those bodies will work w/ the 20D/350Ds but not vice versa..

1. super wides- the 12-24mm F4.5-5.6 EX DG ASPHERICAL HSM is the way to go with a full frame body. excellent superwide lens..

2. Portraits- in the zoom category you have the top of the line Canon 24-70L 2.8 which is just excellent. if you don't want to spend the big bucks, then the Sigma 24-70 2.8 EX DG and the Tamron 28-75 2.8 are both close competitorsto this lens optically and for much less money. in the prime lens category be sure to check out the Canon 50 1.4, 85 1.2L, 85 1.8, 135 2.0, 100 2.0..

... or you can always buy an adaptor for Leica 90mm f/2.0 APO-SUMMICRON-:-)R

3. Flash- the best is Canon's 580EX.. but you can near this performance for about half the money with Sigma's 500 DG SUPER- i have one for my 20d and its just great..

hope this at least gives you a start..

best regards, dustin
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2005, 1:39 AM   #3

Why switch, if you shot pro with Nikon you should have a good nikon kit put together.
Go digital with the Nikon d2x body.

Peter.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2005, 3:09 AM   #4
Super Moderator

Most commentators agree that the D2X has the edge at super-wide, the best Nikon superwide zooms out-resolving the best that Canon can do even with the 1DsMkII.

peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2005, 7:44 AM   #5

nikon in my opinion has dropped the ball.¬* Comparing what i can get with a canon as far as image quality nikon is not on the same level.¬* Nikon has just now figured out how to make their flash system work! I'm a little jaded after having to buy three different flashes at 400.00 each.¬* Plus , canon is already well into the full frame frontier!¬*
Old Jun 30, 2005, 7:46 AM   #6

How is the canon flash system ?¬* Can you just shoot¬* and it works or is it like nikon where every other shot is different.
Old Jun 30, 2005, 8:04 AM   #7

i am very interested in this sigma flash that you recommended. I really don't use on camera flash much. But now and then I shoot PR jobs¬* (parties and such) I am looking for a flash that works as well as these little digital point and shoots! With my nikon i have wrestled with it to get decent images.¬* Can I slap this flash on put it on ettl and worry more about composition than if the flash is working?
Old Jun 30, 2005, 10:28 AM   #8

While nikon has dropped the ball in the area of making flashes work with their digital bodies, their flash system in the area of exposure, is better. Much better, from all I've read.

E-TTL2 (Canon's news flash system) finally takes into account distance to subject info (which Nikon has been doing for year) and that has helped. But it still has exposure issues. I saw a test done awhile back that (at least with the 6 flashes and several bodies in the test) the Sigma flash listed above did a better job with proper exposure than the Canon 55EX on the 20D body. Which I find kinda sad.

You can just put it on and shoot, you don't have to worry about switching settings with each shot and stuff like that. The problem basically comes with inconsistant exposure.

The 17-40L f4 is a very good lens, but I'm not sure if it would be wide angle enough for you. It would work well on the 1D MkII, becase its full frame.

Canon makes some very good Macro lenses which are also good focal lengths for portrate work. They are, of course, primes, which means you loose a bit in flexability. It depends on the type of portrate work you're trying to do.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2005, 12:08 PM   #9

thanks for the info