Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Jul 1, 2005, 5:04 AM   #1

Hi,

I know this can be done because I have seen others do it, I just do not know how to.

I have a studio shoot coming up which is worth lots of money to me and my client. Whilst in the studio I want to be able to view a full screen preview of my shot and control the camera from the powerbook. So I want to see what the camera sees before I shut the shutter. Hope that makes sense?

Now Canon told to use the EOS Viewer and EOS Capture which works to an extent, yes it allows me to control the camera from my powerbook but there is no preview and it simple downloads the image direct to EOS Viewer, and then the largest thumb is still quite small.

Has anyone got any suggestions? Must work with a Apple Mac, Powerbook running Tiger.

Thanks

Grant

grant.smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 1, 2005, 10:46 AM   #2

I don't see how you can do this with a dslr. The mirror blocks the sensor so it would have to be locked up, but then the chip is designed to make one picture per shutter action. You would have to have the shutter constantly opening and closing to provide updated images all the time to make previews and then have it take an exposure with completely different settings when you want to take a keeper.
You could mount a small video camera onto the view finder and monitor that through the pc and then use EOS Capture to take a pic. Maybe there is even a camera out there specially designed to do just this? I don't know.
Otherwise you'd need to use a non slr type camera as they don't use a shutter and the sensor is always active and can be used to preview.
jacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2005, 11:03 AM   #3

Is what you're describing the fact that you can output your preview image to a monitor. But as said above, I don't believe that you can do what you are asking!

Carl.

PS...If you can, please tell us how you achieved this!
CarlsPhotos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2005, 11:11 AM   #4

The only Canon DSLR capable of this is the 20Da, which is aimed at astrophotography and from what I've heard, doesnt do so hot for normal photography.
rob_strain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2005, 11:42 AM   #5

it cannot be done using any of these cameras:

1D, 1D2,1Ds, 1Ds2, 20D. 300D, 350D/XT.
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2005, 1:26 PM   #6

Sjms is correct no Canon (or any other normal) dslr can do that.
Unlike point and shoots the DSLR's have a mirror and a shutter in the way of the sensor when not actually taking an image.

The 20Da mentioned above has a special mode where it flips up the mirror and opens the shutter to provide a magnified monochorme view to assist with telescope focusing only. Not usable for normal imageing.

Not sure if this would help you, but what I do when working teathered is to take a series of quick low resolution jpg images until the shot is worked out. Then switch to RAW for the finals.

Peter.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2005, 5:15 PM   #7

i think what he means is shooting tethered.* Where you take the picture, and the camerea is link to the computer by either firewire or usb, the images is saved into the program that your using and it comes up on the screen. Its very nice for portrait work. I have done this a lot with my d1x and d70. I'm not sure of canon software. But I believe that capture one software from phase one can be used.
tomy2t0ne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2005, 5:20 PM   #8

tethered or not you get no real time preview.

doing what your talking about is like you said tethered post shot image.
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2005, 8:37 AM   #9

Just found this little gadget which might be able to do what you're looking for. It has an lcd display. Don't know if it has a video out socket too. but the pics of it look like they do.

http://www.intro2020.co.uk/pages/zigview.htm

jacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2005, 7:18 PM   #10

I think you mean http://www.intro2020.co.uk/pages/zigview.htm
Paul(UK) is offline   Reply With Quote