Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Jul 2, 2005, 5:28 PM   #1

I'm suddenly having big problems with the Digital Rebel and wanted to see if anyone had any ideas before I took it in.

This started happening while I was shooting a series. A couple of the shots came out way underexposed. I think I was shooting in P (Program AE) mode, which normally produces great exposures. I'd shoot a few images which looked fine, then an image would be underexposed, then a couple would be fine (I hadn't changed any settings during this shoot). I lost 3 or 4 images this way. Then I didn't use the camera for a week or so and after that all the images come out way underexposed.

Even if I use exposure compensation and knock it up a couple of stops, it's still too underexposed, and looks like the contrast is set high (big difference between light and dark areas of the photo).

I've tried all the different white balance settings and all the different exposure settings. Even at manual exposure, with the meter reading on target, the images come out underexposed. As far as I know, I didn't unintentionally set or reset any settings.

Any ideas what is happening? This is really bumming me out. :-(

designeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 3, 2005, 2:44 AM   #2
Super Moderator

The 20D (so I presume the XT too) has a menu option to "reset all parameters to factory defaults" or something like that.

Try that first and if you're still having problems send the camera back.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2005, 12:52 PM   #3

Sigh.* I selected "Clear all camera settings" but to no avail. It looks like a trip to the dealer.Thanks for the suggestion.
Old Jul 3, 2005, 12:59 PM   #4

Before you run off to the service center, have you tried it with more than one lens? The iris in your lens could have stuck stopped down, the camera may be telling it to open up, but if it's stuck it will always underexpose.
eosthree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2005, 1:13 PM   #5

Alas, this didn't seem to fix things, although it's a brilliant idea. I'm shooting in bright sunlight so at least I can see the image, but even changing to my 70-210mm lens, the image is still quite dim.I wonder what kind of defect would cause these symptoms.* Of course, my warranty expired 5 months ago. Sigh.Thanks again for the good idea.
Old Jul 3, 2005, 4:27 PM   #6

One more thing to check, although it's not as likely now that two lenses have both been underexposing: Check to make sure all of the contact pins in the lens mount are clean, it's possible the signal isn't getting to the lenses. I have heard of people cleaning these contacts with a pencil eraser.
Q: is the camera's meter changing with different lighting?
Q: have you tried different modes, AV for example and checked to see if the aperture is changing when you turn the control dial?
Q: have you viewed the shots on your computer? Maybe your LCD is going haywire. This would explain the high contrast.
I would take a shot on a sunny day with good light on your subject using the sunny f/16 rule: 1/ISO speed for [email protected]/16 and see what kind of exposure you get, and make sure you look at the shot on your computer, don't trust the LCD.
eosthree is offline   Reply With Quote