Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Jul 3, 2005, 8:43 PM   #1

What causes the kinky/fuzzy hair in some digital photos? I use to have a Pentax optio s4 and thought it was the camera, so I upgraded to a Canon 20d (also so I could use my canon lenses), and some photos still have that ugly "bad hairdo" effect. Am I shaking the camera? Other details seem great.
amg1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 4, 2005, 1:55 PM   #2

I am disappointed I got no answers here. But I did get an answer on a news group. They say it is the "jaggies" and that it isn't related to the camera, but the software and monitor I am displaying them on. what that doesn't explain is why some pictures, and not others? I will get some of the "jaggies" printed and see if they are still there.
Old Jul 4, 2005, 2:28 PM   #3

what resolution are you shooting at?
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2005, 2:58 PM   #4

On the EOS 20D, I have it set on "auto" and using the full L setting.
Old Jul 4, 2005, 3:34 PM   #5

using a 8mp camera at highest resolution and at 100% enlargement should have no jaggies. you need to post an image of you problem at leat a crop of it.
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2005, 4:25 PM   #6

OK. This is from the EOS 20D. She has straight non-fuzzy hair. Pictures the same day of the same girl didn't show the jaggies. I have more from that day. All taken with "auto" on.
Attached Images

Old Jul 4, 2005, 4:51 PM   #7

Here is another one. This girl also has long straight red hair. not the fuzzies that show on the right side of the photo.

I had to crop these to get them into hte 250K size limit. I also noticed that the post seems to be better than viewing it on my PC. So now I am thinking that maybe just in certain light conditions, certain types of hair, end up withe jaggies when viewed on my PC, but might not have them if I send the file off to be printed. I wll try that. Although when I printed it on my HP printer, the jaggies seemed to be there.
Attached Images

Old Jul 4, 2005, 4:55 PM   #8

Here is the same girl, standing in the same place, without the "jaggies/fuzzies". But noticed the women next to her now has them. could it be flash related?
Attached Images

Old Jul 4, 2005, 5:24 PM   #9

It's the light reflecting off the hair. Hair is not perfectly round so light will bounce off it at different angles. Evan straight hair is not "straight" either. Any time you use flash for "faces", you should use a bounce or difused technique. It will help with the greasy face look too.
CCWKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2005, 7:06 PM   #10

I just using the built in flash. So I should get a flash for the hot shoe?