Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Jul 5, 2005, 12:45 PM   #1

I have a Digital Rebel and just bought a Quantaray 70-300mm lens and a 2x converter and I'm having fun! Still have 8 days left to test it before my time to return it runs out. But for 159.00 it's hard to complain! Anyone had any problems with it?Well, my main question is that all this lens changing has put some dust on the mirror inside the camera. I tried blowing it¬*(with a little blower)¬* a little but it's still there. I read the manual and it says to use the Image Cleaning Sensor. I looked and my camera does not have that feature. It would be above the Firmware 1.0 line in the menu and just isn't there.So is that a Firmware update option? Which I haven't figure out how to do yet or is it because the camera model is older?Thanks for any help!Freida
freidaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 5, 2005, 1:03 PM   #2

Just for your info I read on a little here and found this place with instructions on cleaning the Image Sensor:¬*http://www.pbase.com/copperhill/ccd_cleaning¬* Still don't know what the "Clean Image Sensor function of the camera is though!
Old Jul 5, 2005, 2:33 PM   #3

Clean sensor is a menu command. Its purpose is to expose the sensor--by flipping the mirror to the up position and opening the shutter--so that you can clean it. The only cleaning procedure approved by Canon is to blow dust off the sensor with a squeeze type blower. I think the Rocket Blower is the best known of these devices. To use this procedure, do this (indoors with no ceiling fan blowing):

1. Remove the lens.

2. Select the sensor clean option from the menu.

3. With the camera pointing DOWN, blow on the sensor with your Rocket Blower several times, while making sure you keep the camera pointed down (so the dust can fall out). Be careful--DON'T poke the sensor with the blower tip.

4. Turn of the camera power and reattach the lens.

You can minimize the sensor dust problem by exercising care in changing lenses. When you can, change lenses indoors or in a car with the doors and windows closed. Whenever you have the lens removed, make sure the camera is pointed downward. Organize your lens changing procedure so as to reduce the time the camera is open to dust.

BTW, do not use canned air as an alternative to the squeeze blower, as it can damage the sensor.

I have seen some pretty spectacular nature pictures taken with the DRebel and the Quantary 70-300. I think you have a good combo. I'll be surprised, though, if you get good results with the 2x converter on that lens. The resulting lens will be a 140-600mm F/8-F11. Depending upon which extender you have, the camera may or may not try to autofocus. Officially Canon says no autofocus on a lens slower than F5.6, however, I've had decent results with a Tamron 1.4x on some lenses.
wburychka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2005, 2:57 PM   #4

Thanks, now I get it. It flips the mirror up. But I still can't find it on my camera. Just in the book. Do I need to update the firmware? Or is my camera too old?I'll leave a picture I took at 300mm with the 2x lens on in a few minutes.
Old Jul 5, 2005, 3:55 PM   #5

Okay, here are 4 pictures I just took. This first picture is at 300mm without the 2x teleconverter. It is manual focus and is set on the (green) fully auto mode.
Attached Images

Old Jul 5, 2005, 3:57 PM   #6

Here it is with autofocus.¬*
Attached Images

Old Jul 5, 2005, 4:00 PM   #7

Now here it is with the 2x converter at 300mmx2x or 600mm? right? It is in Autofocus mode.¬*It sure hunts loudly and takes a long time! I like the manual focus better but does take a little practice!
Attached Images

Old Jul 5, 2005, 4:05 PM   #8

And Manual focus Mode. I used a tripod but but I only rested the camera on top cause I can't find that little square thingy that goes inside! So I would image these pictures could even be clearer with no movement.
Attached Images

Old Jul 5, 2005, 4:27 PM   #9

Okay, so I looked at this picture full size and zoomed in Photoshop and it's not real clear. But I smart sharpened in this picture. Hmmmmm, I'll just keep practicing! Still not to bad for $159.00!
Attached Images

Old Jul 5, 2005, 4:56 PM   #10

freidaw wrote:
Quote:
Thanks, now I get it. It flips the mirror up. But I still can't find it on my camera. Just in the book. Do I need to update the firmware? Or is my camera too old?I'll leave a picture I took at 300mm with the 2x lens on in a few minutes.
It is a custom function, atleast on my 10D, should be same on your 300D. Make sure your batteries are good when you flip the mirror and be careful with the cleaning.
bobbyz is offline   Reply With Quote