Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Jul 10, 2005, 11:53 AM   #1

Hi,

I have done all my checks on my new 350D and kit lens, and atm, I am not feeling too good. I woiuld like to get expertise of group on my 2 issues, which will decide if I am sending just the kit lens back, or the whole camera and lens. I received the camera this last Tuesday.
I seem to have 4 dead pixels, all of which are visible on lens cap shots at 1600 ISO and say 1.6 sec or so exposure, visible zoomed in even using the camera's little LCD display. As I shorten exposure time, I think at least 2 of them eventually diminish, the 3rd and 4th one is still visible even at 1/400th of s sec. Going to the other extreme and setting ISO to 100 does eliminate them though. I bought the setup from Beach camera, so will have to mail it all back, and I am about to be out of town for a week, so I really only have today (Sunday) and Monday to resolve this and send back whatever I need to send back. I also have an issue with my kit lens, it has a strange image artifact that can't be seen with naked eye looking at or into lens, but which is very visible at f stops higher than about 9.0, without even pixel peeping at 100%. This artifact is not there with my 50mm 1.8 at all, so it would seem like it has to be the lens.
Here is a crop of that problem:

[align=center]Image control: Zoom out | Zoom 100% | Zoom in | Expand / Contract | New window[/align][align=center][/align]

[align=center] I have included 3 exposure 100% crops of the worst 2 dead pixels as follows:
[/align] [align=center] 1.6 sec, 1600 ISO
[/align]
[align=center]Image control: Zoom out | Zoom 100% | Zoom in | Expand / Contract | New window[/align][align=center][/align]

[align=center]Image control: Zoom out | Zoom 100% | Zoom in | Expand / Contract | New window[/align][align=center]1/30th sec, 1600 ISO

[/align]

[align=center]Image control: Zoom out | Zoom 100% | Zoom in | Expand / Contract | New window[/align][align=center]1/400th sec, 1600 ISO

[/align]

- What Should I Do? Do I send lens back, or both lens and camera?

- Has anyone dealt with Beach on a return?

- I'd like to call them today, sure could use some input...

Thanks bunches,

ML
mikeyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 10, 2005, 12:44 PM   #2

Well, prior to calling the vendor, I went out with my 50mm 1.8 and tried another f20 shot, and viola! Now I see the same artifact, which I then assume IS dust...

Need to get a blower to blow it off with at some point.

http://photos23.flickr.com/24925905_d33e06696b_m.jpg

ml

mikeyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2005, 12:30 AM   #3

mikeyL wrote:
Quote:
Well, prior to calling the vendor, I went out with my 50mm 1.8 and tried another f20 shot, and viola! Now I see the same artifact, which I then assume IS dust...

Need to get a blower to blow it off with at some point.

http://photos23.flickr.com/24925905_d33e06696b_m.jpg

ml

The one image does look like dirt on the sensor (not a lens issue), which isn't uncommon straight out of the box.

For the other images,they sure look like dead pixels since you can see them at pretty fast shutter speeds. Every camera has a number of hot pixels, although I wouldn't have thought you should see them at the Tv you selected, even at ISO 1600. There is a program you can download from the net called deadpixeltest that works pretty well ( http://www.starzen.com/imaging/deadpixeltest.htm ). You SHOULD see lots of hot pixels depending on exposure time and if you are not using long exposure noise reduction ... but dead pixels are bad.

If you see any dead pixels, my feeling would be to send the kit back and get a new one. If not, then I would go to a localauthorized dealerand ask about sensor cleaning ... because for a new camera I have heard rumors that Canon will do it for free.

Edit: By the way, Canon can remap your sensor to get rid of the dead/hot pixels. They will probably even map out a ton of hot pixels that you haven't noticed

BobA is offline   Reply With Quote