Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Jul 13, 2005, 8:19 PM   #11

Exactly, I used the 18-55 lens on my cam for the first few weeks to learn the camera and get used to it. Then, I got the 17-85 and shortly after that the 70-300 and now I'm all done except for a new case so I can take both lenses at the same time safely.
G35Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2005, 10:43 AM   #12

G35, how high is the learning curve on this camera for someone that has NEVER used an SLR (wellat least the advanced features,anyway)? Is it more (or less) difficult than using a high-end 35mmSLR?

I had a Nikon N65, but I always seemed to fall back on my Olympus digital for the ease of use and convenience of film-less photography, so I never learned how to (really)use it and sold it to a co-worker. I have no clue when it comes to shutter speeds, f/stops,and ISO settings...except that they all have to do with exposure.I know essentiallyWHAT they do, I've just never attempted to use/adjust them...I was alwaysa point and click kind of guy. But I really want to learn how to properly use the advanced settings to improve the quality of my photography...which is one of the reasonswhy I'm purchasing this camera.
Babyfixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2005, 3:26 PM   #13

Hards80 wrote:
Quote:
be careful of your online dealers.. if they are significantly cheaper than b&h, then somethings up and stay away..

Sometimes...but not always, my friend. Sometimes you just need to shop around.

I just checked out "B&H" photo...their prices are good, but not the best by a long shot. I might spend $50.00 more to go with a trusted "superstore" on a recommendation, or $100 more topurchase locally...but they're asking over $100 moreplusNO free shipping...I mean, what's THAT all about??You spend $2K on merchandise andthey charge you for ground shipping within the continental U.S.?? Hell, even Ritz Camera offers free shipping!!

B&H isnot even trying to be competitive...I guess because they dont have to be. They apparently have anexcellent reputation and a large customer fan base already in place...and someone's gotta pay the rent on that 35,000 sq. ft. 9th Ave superstore!!It would be worth the price difference if I lived in NY, but I'm 1600 miles away from them, so if I'm gonna have the camera shipped to me I mightas well save a hundredbucks, right?

Old Jul 14, 2005, 4:36 PM   #14

Babyfixer wrote:
Quote:
G35, how high is the learning curve on this camera for someone that has NEVER used an SLR (wellat least the advanced features,anyway)? Is it more (or less) difficult than using a high-end 35mmSLR?
I had used P&S digitals a bit over the years, but for nothing more than snapshots. I did have quite a bit experience with film SLRsmany years ago and then left photography for several years. I came back and I love the RebelXT. For someone who's never used an SLR, there's definitely a learning curve, whether it's a dSLR or film SLR. For me, especially at first, I found it harder than film SLR, more from a standpoint of getting used to the images in RAW format and how soft and often unsaturated they felt. Lighting also feels different to me with the dSLR than a film cam, real film seems more forgiving to me than digital. But, once I got comfortable seeing my images digitally and learned some basic post-processing techniques to make the images look better, I loved it. I wouldn't go back now, although I do still think Black and White photography with film is much better than the dSLRs do.
G35Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2005, 4:48 PM   #15
Super Moderator

Babyfixer wrote:
Quote:
Hards80 wrote:
Quote:
be careful of your online dealers.. if they are significantly cheaper than b&h, then somethings up and stay away..

Sometimes...but not always, my friend. Sometimes you just need to shop around.

plz read my comment again.. i said "significantly cheaper" .. i am not talking about a 100 dollars here or 50 dollars there.. i am just giving you that advice so you don't get burned by some of these brooklyn based camera companies that offer prices that are ridiculously low.. then you have to purchase ac adaptors/etc seperately for a ridiculous price.. for example a&mphotoworld, digital liquidators (think actually they are the same company)..
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2005, 1:32 PM   #16

Hards80 wrote:
Quote:
plz read my comment again.. i said "significantly cheaper" .. i am not talking about a 100 dollars here or 50 dollars there.. i am just giving you that advice so you don't get burned by some of these brooklyn based camera companies that offer prices that are ridiculously low.. then you have to purchase ac adaptors/etc seperately for a ridiculous price.. for example a&mphotoworld, digital liquidators (think actually they are the same company)..
Actually 100+ dollarsIS "significant" to me...I have two teenage daughters that still believe money grows on trees...LOL. I hear what you're saying, though...and I agree with you completely. There are a lot of scumbag con artists out there, and I certainly dont want to get burned trying to save a buck.

I appreciate your advice, thanks again.
Old Aug 2, 2005, 1:11 PM   #17

Whoa...what happened to my posts above?? I had questions regarding the dust on the sensor and how often you have to have the camera serviced??
Old Aug 2, 2005, 1:18 PM   #18
Super Moderator

i don't have any real problems with dust on the sensor.. if you do, most local pro stores will clean it for you for a minimal charge... no need to send it to canon to get serviced just for that.. if you aren't changing your lenses much and aren't using it in say the desert, you can go a LONG time without needing any sensor cleans..
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2005, 8:06 AM   #19

Good to know...thanks hards.
Old Aug 3, 2005, 8:06 AM   #20

duplicate post...admin please delete.