Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Jul 10, 2005, 5:37 PM   #1

Can anyone explain to me the difference between the original 20D and the higher priced "lens variation II" 20D camera?? I'm looking to purchase one and I'm finding the price difference to be significant...just wondering if its worth the extra $700 to go with the "variation II".

Also, is it better to buy the body-only and purchase alens seperate, or go with the bundled 18-55 kit??

Thanks

Babyfixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 10, 2005, 7:45 PM   #2

Better explain what the "lens variation II" is.
hkrautter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2005, 7:56 PM   #3

there are 2 types of lenses.18-55 kit lens or the much more expensive digital only 17-85 IS USM lens.It has Image stablization.That is why it is much more expensive.It is a much better lens but I didnt think it was worth the extra money.I hope this is what you are talking about.

Charlie
Striderxl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2005, 8:10 PM   #4

You can buy the 17-85 IS USM by itself for well under $600.
G35Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2005, 10:12 PM   #5
Super Moderator

yea... what dealer are you looking at???? i would be wondering a bit about them since the second kit should only run you 500USD more..
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2005, 6:48 AM   #6

I paid $520 shippedfor mine from Dell when they were having a sale a few weeks ago.
G35Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2005, 6:15 PM   #7

Hards80 wrote:
Quote:
yea... what dealer are you looking at???? i would be wondering a bit about them since the second kit should only run you 500USD more..
No specific "dealer" per se, I was just comparing online prices of $1199 for the 18-55 kit to a $1900 quote for the "Lens Variation II"

I can always purchase better lenses later...I just wanted to make sure this wasn't a firmware upgrade or something that made the more expensive camera superior to what I was purchasing...ya know.

Thanks for the reply, guys.
Old Jul 11, 2005, 6:18 PM   #8
Super Moderator

be careful of your online dealers.. if they are significantly cheaper than b&h, then somethings up and stay away..

the camera itself is totally identical between the two kits.. it is worth the upgrade if you are going to be using a normal zoom lens much, as the 17-85 IS is a very good lens and is as good as you will ever need it to be...
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2005, 11:14 PM   #9

Also there are two versions of the 18-55 (cheap and cheaper) ... One has USM and the other doesn't. If I recall correctly B&H used to offer a standard kit (one with the 18-55 non-USM) and their own kit using the 18-55 with USM.

If you are thinking you will get the 17-85 anyway then I wouldn't even bother with the 18-55. I don't own either, but the 17-85 is supposed to be very nice (MTF charts also indicate good optics), while the 18-55 is very average. Don't get me wrong though, many have posted pics from the 18-55 that are excellent when the photographer knows the limitations of the lens. If you don't mind stopping the lens down to say, f8, then I'm sure you could be pretty happy with the 18-55.

Also agree with Hards80. If you use an online dealer check them out at www.reselleratings.com before making a purchase. I have made several purchases from B&H this year and have been extremely happy each time ... so I wouldn't buy from anyone online that didn't have a lot of feedback at reselleratings and have similar individual scores to B&H.

BobA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2005, 6:13 PM   #10

I usually go through the certified resellers on Cnet.com for all my electronic toys. I purchased my Olympus 3030z from www.buydig.com (a 5-star reseller) back in 2000 and it arrived at my door in 2 days, brand new in the box (it is still working flawlessly, but I'm ready to upgrade from 3.3 megapixels and dump the "Smart Media" card)!! They were who I was going to go through this time as well. I'm not familiar with B&H, but I do know that I want to get the best price possible...if they can match or beat the prices I'm finding on Cnet, I'll go for it!!

The 17-85 sounds sweet...its really what I want. The problem with going for the higher priced kit is convincing the wife that anamature hackphotographer like myself needs to drop $2K on a camera. I've talked her into letting me spend $1200, but trying to pull a bait-and-switch at this point may kill the deal for me. I'm not pussy-whipped, mind you...its just that we agreed a long time ago that we woulddiscuss the bigger ticket (over $1000.00) household purchases with each other before making them...and we both have to agree that its absolutely justified. She wouldn't go out and drop $2K onKirby Vacuum before talking with me...and I must show her the same respect (and I'd probably say NO to the vacuum). However, once I have the camera, I can always purchase the lens later on my own!! This way I have a chance to get used to the camera and play with it before using the better lens.

Again, thanks so much for your input...I appreciate it.