Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Jul 12, 2005, 9:49 PM   #11

I just bought mine through Canoga Camera.* I'd have gone with B&H (my preferred source, primarily as a "thank you" for thier phenominal sourcebooks), but they were out of stock on practically everthing BUT the camera body.The phone support and call backs I got from Canoga were extremely good, and despite my credit card company's screwup which put the order on hold until almost 7PM thier time they STILL got the order out the same day.* I'll have it, a 24-70 2.8L USM, a 70-200 IS 2.8L and and 17-85 IS in my grubby hands tomorrow.* I wasn't sure on the 24-70L or the 17-85 IS, so they suggested I order both and send back the one I didnt' want to keep for credit.* How cool is that?*I can hardly wait.
LewnWorx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2005, 12:21 AM   #12

Mr.M wrote:
Quote:

Check this out! $1299.00
http://www.priceritephoto.com/

Pretty average ratings for an online retailer. Check their ratings versus B&H at www.reselleratings.com. The only thing priceritephoto has a reasonable score for is price.
BobA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2005, 12:26 AM   #13

KCMO wrote:
Quote:
Mr.M, I belive that is for the body only...

I checked and it includes the lens ... but this store doesn't score nearly high enough for me to have any confidence purchasing from them. Maybe I'd take a chance for something less that $25 ... but not for a 20D.
BobA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2005, 8:00 AM   #14

The problem with the New York stores, is they only have a 7 or 14 day return policy on the lens. Buying from Amazon or Costco will give you a month to check it out.I wouldn't get the 17-85 kit, you won't be happy with the lens after 3 weeks. I sold the 17-85 after 3 weeks for $450 on the FM forums just to get rid of it, then bought the 24-70L. If you have the money,start off with the best, or you'll be wondering about it. And don't buy the kit, because if something happens, you have to send everything back. Buy the body, and lenses seperate. If you have to buy a kit, go with the18-55first just to get started, then go for the 24-70L or a 17-40L depending on what you shoot. If you decide to use a NY store, 17 Photo has good results. I bought my 24-70L from them and got a good copy.
robvia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2005, 8:24 AM   #15
Super Moderator

robvia wrote:
Quote:
The problem with the New York stores, is they only have a 7 or 14 day return policy on the lens. Buying from Amazon or Costco will give you a month to check it out.I wouldn't get the 17-85 kit, you won't be happy with the lens after 3 weeks. I sold the 17-85 after 3 weeks for $450 on the FM forums just to get rid of it, then bought the 24-70L. If you have the money,start off with the best, or you'll be wondering about it. And don't buy the kit, because if something happens, you have to send everything back. Buy the body, and lenses seperate. If you have to buy a kit, go with the18-55first just to get started, then go for the 24-70L or a 17-40L depending on what you shoot. If you decide to use a NY store, 17 Photo has good results. I bought my 24-70L from them and got a good copy.
17-85 v Ls

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=37

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=65

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=65
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2005, 12:35 AM   #16

Thanks again for all the input.

The local retail stores do not have the kit with the 17-85 is lens and Canon says it's on back order.

I could just go ahead and order one online, but I'm getting cold feet.

I have started a website and I am building a client base for my work. It's small, but it's growing. I just bought the 6 mp rebel last Nov and my 35mm rebel is collecting dust along with its flash which does not work with the digitals.

I have to get some equipment that will last for a while so I can eventially break even here.

What would you do? upgrade and have both a 20d and rebel or try to wait it out with the rebel untill something better comes out or the 20d goes down in price?

I want to be able to produce as high quaility prints and digital images as possible for any potential customers, but it's hard to pull the trigger on this purchase.

HELP???

KCMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2005, 2:14 AM   #17
Super Moderator

save the money, but some nice lenses.. the digireb is fully capable of producing some nice images.. better images can be had with the digirebel and some nice lenses than less than average lenses on a 20d.. and when the digirebel/20d/anything becomes obsolete, you still have your lenses..
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2005, 2:16 AM   #18
Super Moderator

for info on lenses see the canon lens forum..

feel free to ask question such as

" i shoot mainly candid portraits, can i have a few suggestion in the price range of $xxx"

"i am looking for a good midrange telezoom in this price range $xxx"

see you there, dustin
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2005, 7:14 AM   #19

Hards80 wrote:
Quote:
save the money, but some nice lenses.. the digireb is fully capable of producing some nice images.. better images can be had with the digirebel and some nice lenses than less than average lenses on a 20d.. and when the digirebel/20d/anything becomes obsolete, you still have your lenses..

Very good point. I'm still shooting with lenses from my film cameras. I think I will do that, purchase a good midrange lens and hold off on a 20d body for now.
KCMO is offline   Reply With Quote