Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Jul 12, 2005, 7:07 PM   #1

Please help with this, I'm tring to save money here, but I don't want to get ripped off by somebody like expresscameras.com

I want to purchase a 20d with the 17-85islens. I already have a dRebel with its 18-55 lens.

Are there any good websites out there or should I just stick with a local Ritz or something.

I want to do this in the next day or so.

Thanks in advance!

KCMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 12, 2005, 8:11 PM   #2

The price range from "reputable" sellers of the 20D is not that large. Look at B & H Photo, Adorama, and Dell. Canon's $100 rebate on the 20D expires on the 15th, so I would not dally shopping around for more than a day or 2 before buying. You will likely pay full retail from a local store, if they even have what you want. In most cases, I don't think buying local is worth the extra $, unless you need help getting the camera out of the box. Good luck!
gordonj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2005, 8:12 PM   #3

I recomend www.bhphotovideo.comand buy my stuff there( except my 20d as I got a fantastic price with a mall special).They have great customer service and great prices too.
Striderxl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2005, 8:35 PM   #4
Super Moderator

i recommend b&h as well.. and it will cost you less to pay for shipping than the tax at a local dealer..
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2005, 9:00 PM   #5

I'll post again since it looks like my previous post was lost (sorry if this double posts):

B&H is great and I highly recommend them. Looks like they are selling this kit for $2017 with shipping. Two other sites I can recommend have a slightly better price:

DigitalFotoClub.com has it for $1859 and

Butterflyphoto has it for $1819

All prices are BEFORE the $100 rebate.

I would also caution that many of the online places make up their margin on 'extras' - filters, CF cards etc. If you really want extras I suggest you price those separately. I've done repeated business with all of the above and never had a problem - they are all highly rated on www.resellerratings.com

Enjoy your new toy!
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2005, 9:17 PM   #6

Thanks for the replys. It looks like the only real difference here is taxes and maybe a hundred bucks or so. I guessI could easily save a couple hundred, but then I wouldn't have a local place to take the camera for questions etc. I'll look through all of those web sites and just take a chance one way or the other. It's nice to have a few "recomended" sites to compare prices with though.

Thanks again and please post any more info on this as I will check back.
Old Jul 12, 2005, 9:50 PM   #7

Check this out! $1299.00
http://www.priceritephoto.com/
Mr.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2005, 10:03 PM   #8

I would try either Amazon.com or Costco (either the .com or in person). Both sell it for the same price. Both have excellent reputations.

I've also had two good experiences with buydig.com, although they do not offer the service the other two merchants I mentioned.
tkrotchko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2005, 10:11 PM   #9

KCMO, Thats the exact reasoning I went through this past weekend when I bought my new rebel xt. By the time I got all the stuff needed to operate the camera from the online stores, I was only about $150 off from the local stores. Plus as you mentioned, buying local, you have somewhere to take it incase there is a problem instead of having to ship it back and deal with someone over the phone.

Good choice on the camera and good job shoping around.

by the way.... I'm origonally from Kansas City, Kansas.
overkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2005, 10:39 PM   #10

I never thought about Costco, I'll have to check that out.

Mr.M, I belive that is for the body only...

overkill, sweet, check out my photo album if you want some recent shots of KC. I don't get over to KCK often, but I do have a few pics of KCK on my site.

edit:

I guess it would help for my to tell you the address to my album .

www.kc-photos.com