Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Jul 14, 2005, 1:00 PM   #1

My plan is to carry it on the plane with me because I have had luggage lost before and my clothes would be a lot easier to replace than my camera.

I know they will want to look all through my bag but will the X-ray machine do anything to the cards or the camera itself?

I am leaving in the morning, 8:30 Eastern Time and I realize this is a last minute question but if someone could help I would appreciate it very much.

Crow
Crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 14, 2005, 1:45 PM   #2

Digital cameras suffer no ill affects from x-ray. It is only unexposed film - and in that case, you MUST carry it with you - the x-rays for checked baggage will destroy any unexposed film.

Don't worry about your camera/ memory cards/ etc...
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2005, 2:47 PM   #3

Here is a link that says digital media is safe checked or carryon.

http://www.livingroom.org.au/photolo...y_machines.php

iblaineman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2005, 12:29 AM   #4

Thanks! I will just carry it on with me so I will be sure and have it when I get there.
Crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2005, 9:01 AM   #5

And I believe the appropriate government group (TSA) says that a camera bag does not count as carry on when they limit the number of carry on bags. You might want to check that to be sure, but that is what I recall.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2005, 2:07 PM   #6

here at Chicago's midway airport, they opened up my camera bag after the xray checkpoint and checked all 5 of my lenses.* they took off the dust caps to look through the glass.* *so make sure you watch them if they handle your gear.**
mugen76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2005, 8:53 PM   #7

Make sure your battery is charged because if they ask you to turn it on and it doesn't, they may very well confiscate it and blow it up just to be on the safe side... That holds true with any electrical device you carry on. My experience is that you can carry on a camera bag, backpack, paper bag and a personal bag with no problems from the crew. If it fits in the overhead and under the seat in front of you then you are set to go.

H
bigboyhf is offline   Reply With Quote